Wednesday, August 26, 2015

UPDATE and National Dog Day

UPDATE: A bit stronger today, walking in the hallway of my building, making loops on the carpeted floor. Less peripheral neuropathy, too. I believe I will be able to return to work on Monday, part time, barring any unforeseen changes. Thinking this way and feeling this way is a real blessing.

Daddy and his bird dogs, Joe and Jack.

It's National Dog Day, y'all. Here's my Daddy with two of his quail hunting dogs, Jack and Joe. He's not hunting them right then, he's walking them, training them. I believe this was taken in the mid-1960s. I love this photo a whole lot. Daddy hunted for many years with my Uncle J L. When they got a mess of quail, my Mama's mother, Mama Sudie, ended up cleaning and cooking them. I don't remember thinking that they tasted like all that, but the older folks liked to eat them--she fried them in her iron chicken-frying skillet on the gas stove in her kitchen.

3 comments:

Birdman said...

All I've got to add to your post is this:
Bow, wow, wow, wow, wow, woooooooooooooooooo into the dark night.

William Kendall said...

A wonderful family shot to share, Lynette.

Jack said...

It is a nice candid portrait of your father doing something he enjoyed. I hope you do get to return to work. Some normalcy would be a plus.