Saturday, March 15, 2008

We're some kind of excited about this!

lamont_leland_3dd_kitchen

From Wednesday's Willamette Week:

"Saturday Mar 15

Taste of Tillamook County Black Box Cooking Contest

Chairman Kaga won't be there, but four of Oregon's top chefs will—competing Iron Chef-style with mystery Tillamook County food ingredients out of a secret black box. On Saturday, Portland's Lamont Hanson of 3 Doors Down will compete against Piet Vanden Hogan of Pelican Pub & Brewery in Pacific City. Sunday's challenge pairs Chris Holen from Astoria's Baked Alaska and Josh Anderson of Lincoln City's Blackfish Cafe. Don't miss the food court, jam-packed with local vendors offering small portions at low prices; the clam-chowder cook-off; and the oyster speed-shucking contest. Visit tasteoftillamookcounty.com for more info. Tillamook County Fairgrounds, 4603 E 3rd St., Tillamook., . 10 am-9 pm Saturday, 10 am-3 pm Sunday. $4-$5."

When contacted about participating in this event as the chef this time--years ago Lamont was an assistant--Lamont said yes, if he could get off work. Dave and Kathy agreed, and Lamont asked his brother Leland to be his assistant. We're heading to the coast, to Tillamook, around 10 a.m. Saturday. The guys want to get a good look at the burners, oven(s), pots and pans, and ingredients in sight. They'll start mulling things over in their minds, pondering what they could do depending on what the secret ingredient(s) might be.

I'll be taking photos as long as I don't distract anyone--you'll be inundated in all probability.

Here's the link to the Web site, where our last name is spelled incorrectly except where Lamont submitted his bio--be sure to click on Chef Lamont Hansen.

10 comments:

WendyB said...

Awesome! Sounds like fun.

George Townboy said...

That is so cool! Congrats to your boys, and I hope they win!!!

Anna said...

Sounds like it's going to be a blast!

A.

Andrea said...

It does sound like a lot of fun. Wish I could be there.

Neva said...

Wow ...Congratulations to the boys!! I can hardly wait to see how it goes! I LOVE the Iron Chef!! Thanks for the info on my statue....I blogged a bit about it today!

Jim Klenke said...

How exciting, I know he will do well. Cant wait to hear how it goes and see pictures.

SO, can I get in on this? Where do I bring my pot of homemade Hormel Chili?

sonia a. mascaro said...

Just dropping by to wishing you all a great weekend!

GMG said...

Hi Lynette, here I am, after another hectic week, to see some wonderful pictures.
Clam chowder and oysters looks a great treat; unfortunately Portland is a bit far away from Lisbon, otherwise...
Loved to see the dark skies (amazing that it doesn't mean storm) as well as Ryder's sculpture! And of course I'm glad to see that Spring is in the streets!
Thanks for your comments at Blogtrotter, where I'm still posting on the Greek Isles.
Have a great weekend!
Gil

Photo Cache said...

That's pretty exciting indeed. Lovely part of the state where you're heading. Good luck and bring back some photos.

Marie said...

Dear Lynette, we don't have those "competitions" in France, I think. I'm not sure. We should.
I have clicked on Chef Lamont Hansen. The photo is blurred, quel dommage!