Friday, March 28, 2008

Too choice to pass up

Saturday, still on that trip to get Duncan's dog food--hey, it's 17.4 miles as the MapQuest flies from our apartment to PetSmart--I'm stopped at a traffic light, looking around, the camera on the seat beside me. I'm thinking, "I wish I had had the chance to take a photo of that jewelry store before ... oh my! That man's scratching his back on the support of that TriMet bus shelter, right beside that advertising poster for the Oregon Lottery!" I grab my camera and get a single photo before the light changes. I hope it's a decent photo because the situation was just too choice to pass up.

man_scratches_close

Here's why. One of the Oregon Lottery's campaigns involves Scratchercise, a totally tongue-in-cheek, advertising program to get your fingers in shape, using coins to scratch cards and find out if you've won any money. And there stood that man, right beside that big ol' word, Scratchercise, rubbing his back from side to side on that metal pole holding up the frame for the poster!

Har-tee-har-har!

In the seconds that it took me to get the camera focused on him through the windshield, naturally he stopped scratching to check that hand-held device, but I know y'all trust me. Thanks!

12 comments:

Annie said...

That totally cracked me up. Thanks for the big smile today!!

The washington state lottery had a slogan a while ago that was "play lucky for life and WIN!!" I still say it all of the time.

WendyB said...

LOL! Great catch.

Chuck Pefley said...

Hah! Nice job! And great story!!

Did you buy a ticket?

Anonymous said...

The odds on winning almost any lotters are something like 14 million to one. This is very nice photography.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio

Jim Klenke said...

I got lucky a few weeks ago with scratch off, I will try to post a pic of what I got in the mail this week. No, its not a check.

George Townboy said...

Y'all got a funny one there! And gave me a good laugh, thanks!

Neva said...

Very cute story and of course I believe you!!!

Denton said...

Another great story ... I hope Duncan does not starve given it is taking a while for your trip to PetSmart ... We try to ignore the lottery and feel we are better off for our self discipline. However, my father loved the lottery.

AVCr8teur said...

Too bad you couldn't stay a little longer to see him jump for joy if he won something. :D Scatchercise, what a cute marketing ploy.

GMG said...

TGIF!!! Finally, some moments without having to think on things to do tomorrow and with time to come and enjoy your posts! And of course, I trust you...
Thanks for your comments at Blogtrotter where I'm now strolling around Bilbao!
Have a great weekend!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Lol! Great story!

Have a nice weekend!

brian stout said...

very nice post, and funny.. i guess he had an itch that needed scratching.