Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Here's what moved.

a_cafe_enhanced
A cafe moved, but not just any ol' cafe. It was the Virginia Cafe. I stepped back to get the entire unlit neon sign.
virginia_cafe_enhanced

Here is what will be at its site, instead.

And this on the World Wide Web, with a photo of the new location.

The first visit Mama and I made to Portland, in the summer of 2004, Lamont and Leland and the two of us walked from the Benson Hotel on Broadway to the Virginia Cafe. The guys thought we'd enjoy ourselves there since it struck them as much like the Cherokee, a beloved restaurant in Jackson, Mississippi. The guys were right on all counts--the food, the ambience, the fun we had at the Virginia Cafe.

Several years ago the Cherokee moved from one side of I-55 North to the other, taking its menu and ambience to a larger location. The guys, who used to work there, got to see for themselves when they came home to move us up here in June, 2006. The long-time establishment remains one of Jackson's favorites, winning and/or placing in multiple categories in the Jackson Free Press' yearly Best of polls.

Here's one of my favorite shots I took of the Cherokee's neon sign.
neon_cherokee_splotchy_sky

Have you witnessed the move of an icon in your city? How did everyone react to the move?

13 comments:

Steve Buser said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog.

I like the way you have linked the fate of these two cross-country icons.

-- steve buser
New Orleans Daily Photo

Chris said...

Hey, Lynette! I agree with Steve. When I owned my store, there was a great lunch spot - Porta Via - that moved from the plaza next to ours to the mall down the street. I kept telling the owner it was a mistake, but he thought he'd do better. He didn't last 2 years at the mall. People just didn't want to drive to the mall, park, walk through it, etc. The mall is not really busy, either. Oh, well. . . .

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I love the sign at the drive inn. Makes me feel at home down here.:)

Jim Klenke said...

Always pushing out the past to make way of something thats suppose to have more glitter. Its nice it will be able to continue even if at a different spot.

WendyB said...

Love that Cherokee shot.

AVCr8teur said...

It's sad when a well-known icon closes. Glad you were able to capture some pictures before it was torn down.

Annie said...

Here's hoping the new location is a good one. It's always a challenge for a business, finding a spot that will be the right spot.

I've watched a furniture store move around Little Rock, looking for the right spot. Don't know yet if they finally found it. I guess if they don't move again, I'll know.

Denton said...

I like how you captured the A from Virgina in your first photo.

Andrea said...

I too like how you captured the A to show A Cafe....love the Cherokee Drive Inn sign too.....a milk shake would be good right now and some french fries.

George Townboy said...

I love that neon sign photo!! Awesome.

I've witnessed closings mostly: Hooter's, Roadhouse Grill, Tony Roma's, Perkin's ... very strange.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots! Love the drive-in pic with the sky behind.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Never heard of a Cherokee Drive in Before is it a chain? We are getting Sonics here in place of an old Restaurant that was next door to us in Bend.

Saline County, Arkansas Photos said...

Cool picture!