Wednesday, March 19, 2008

ABC Wednesday - I is for Incredible Indulgence

Thank you for your kind indulgence at this show and tell of the food my sons cooked last Saturday at the Taste of Tillamook over on the Pacific coast. Lamont got invited to participate in the Chef's Blackbox Competition, and he asked his brother Leland to be his assistant.

Incredible appetizer--sautéed prawns (a secret ingredient), freshly made salsa verde, and sautéed leeks with bacon.
appetizer_enhanced

Incredible salad--quarter-sized cucumber slices surround a mound of match-stick-sliced fennel and Granny Smith apple, topped with paper-thin slices of red onion.
salad_cucumber_fennel_grannie_smith_apple_what

Incredible entree--pan-roasted cod (a secret ingredient), spinach sautéed with garlic and capers, and roasted fingerling potatoes.
entree_cod_spinach_fingerling_potatoes

The requirements were to make three demonstration dishes, using a different secret ingredient in two of those dishes, then prepare more of the same for the five judges to taste. At the end of an intense hour for the four cooks, Mama and I won the bidding competition for the demo dishes (a fundraiser for Food Safety in Tillamook County) and got to pick which chef's dishes we wanted to eat. That's a no brainer, right. While their food was delicious--we cleaned the plates in no time--the judges made the other guy the winner by 11 points.

Mama and I are incredibly blessed to have Lamont and Leland in our lives, and it's not just because we've not had to cook a single holiday meal since we moved to Portland, although that is absolutely nothing to sneeze at, right? All you always-the-one(s)-who-cook-holiday-meals know what I'm talking about. It's that and so much more. We love those two kind, creative, caring, talented, responsible men!

Be sure to go to Mrs. Nesbitt's Place for loads of other ABC Wednesday blogs!

Thanks to Lindsay for taking these great photos.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well what an incredible blessing that is! Oh I love indulging in food and this must have been an amazing experience! Lovely....

Leslie: said...

Um...if I let you know I'm coming, do you think they'd cook for ME??? lol Divine inspiration for the letter I. :D

dot said...

I like the looks of that shrimp dish. Yummy!

Patty said...

Oh that all looks yummy, but I agree with the others, pass the shrimp plate please

Neva said...

yummmmmmmm......this looks awesome! What a great "I"! Your sons did a fabulous job....I am proud of them for you!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Ok now i am hungry with all the incredible food.

Chuck Pefley said...

Incredible Indulgence - Indeed It Is -:)

Katney said...

yum!

FO - 2 said...

Yummi, yummi, yummi!!! :)))

mrsnesbitt said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Great minds think alike! LOL!

George Townboy said...

Finally ... food I can eat!!

Great presentation this entire week. Your sons are blessed to have such a great Mom!!

Jim Klenke said...

Everything looks wonderful. I dont even like fish, but I would have to try the cod.

Unknown said...

That food looks incredibly delicious. YUM>

DeeMom said...

WOW an invitation to cook that is awesome, I am drooling this is totally awesome

Miss_Yves said...

Incredible...but appetizing !
miss Yves

Happyone said...

Everything looks yummy.

Alan said...

Looks tasty and sounds like a fun time. We enjoy watching those Iron Chef shows on the Food Network. Always interesting to see what they come up with - crazier than I might be willing to eat sometimes. :)

Denton said...

Bravo Lamont and Leland. The dishes look and sound great.

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

"Cordon bleu", "Maître-queue", grand-chef"...
Have we (Frenchies) always the best in the world ?
Yours seem quite excellent.

smilnsigh said...

Oh yum, Oh yum, Oh yummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

And I understand about not having to do holiday cooking. My husband loves to cook, and he does holidays, and daily. Daily, now that he's mostly retired. I never loved cooking. So I am in 7th Heaven. :-)

And how is Mama doing now?

Mari-Nanci

Unknown said...

Yummi :-)

Liz Hinds said...

THose dishes look absolutely fabulous and I'm sure they taste just as good.

Petunia said...

Great choice of I post!

Andrea said...

Nice looking dishes of food. Your posts the last few days have made me hungry.

Dragonstar said...

Ohhhh, delicious! I used to enjoy cooking, but now I love being fed by kind cooks.

Chris said...

Their presentation is great, and I bet the food was delicious!!

BTw. . .. Do you know what Mayhaw (I think that's it) is?

Unknown said...

The cod looks so delish!