Friday, March 7, 2008

A SmartMeter is a solar-powered, multi-space parking meter. It’s easy to use, modern, tough, and smart.

That's what Portland Online dot com has to say, among quite a bit more, about what you see in the first photo. If you're of a mind to, you can go there and search for parking meter, then click on SmartMeter.
parking_ticket_machine
Thankfully since I ride the bus to and from work, and as often as possible other times, I've hardly had to use the SmartMeter. When I do, though, the directions you see on the meter give me confidence that I can do it. And I've just discovered on the Web site well-illustrated, step-by-step instructions, too.

See the digital clock? I took these photos at 7:27 a.m., standing on SW 3rd Avenue, waiting for my second morning bus.

From the Web site: A smart card is a credit-card-sized plastic card with a smart chip embedded in it. The smart chip holds information in electronic form – in this case, electronic money. The card can be reloaded when you want to purchase more parking time.
parking_machine_sign

I particularly enjoyed this information that I found at the Web site: What are the benefits to the public? Parking customers have more payment options (coin, credit/debit card, and smart card). Customers receive a receipt and are able to take their remaining parking time with them to another space. Removing meter posts has freed up sidewalk space for pedestrians. SmartMeters are more reliable.

For my money, the best benefit is freeing up sidewalk space. I can't even imagine what they were like before the old single space meters were replaced, around 7100 of them I read.

Do you have to pay to park on your downtown streets?

10 comments:

AVCr8teur said...

Wow, how hi-tech. Although I love gadgets, sometimes they're not that easy to use. We live in a somewhat small town, so there's hardly any parking meters around.

Thanks for the explanation of the jello-like decorations on your windows.

Anonymous said...

The parking meter was the downfall of almost all towns and cities here in Ohio. The city fathers finally realized the people could go out to the edge of town and didn't have to pay to park at the big box stores. As a result, too late, the parking meters were removed.

Jim Klenke said...

No parking meters here. They would lose what business they get now. I like the idea of the smartmeter though.

GMG said...

We had those smart cards some fifteen years ago, but then banks moved away from the system and returned to the traditional debit cards for regular payments. What we have now is a system that you install in your car (connected electronically to your bank account) and pay highway, parking, fuel... charges, without any ado - «Via Verde», Green Way!
Loved to see the Fire Boats saluting the Fleet! As I've never been in Portland, I've seen that show somewhere else...
Have a great weekend!
Blogtrotter

George Townboy said...

Mmm, I can't think of a place around here that has parking meters. I'm going looking for Rita tomorrow ... she'll know if there are any.

I like the photo!

Kim said...

Lynnette,
We have very similar looking meters here in Seattle, but I never noticed if they are solar powered or not. I just used one a hour ago. Now I'm going to be sure to look next time.

When we lived in Berkeley, an anti meter group or person went through every neighborhood and lopped off every post parking meter in sight on the shopping streets. It was one of the few distructive acts people didn't complain all that much about ;^).
Hope you have a great weekend!

Chris said...

What a great idea! I hate paying for a meter and then wasting money when my stop doesn't use up all my time.

Our meters are pretty expensive.

Max-e said...

We have dumb meters in our city. Many are still clockwork wound up with a key.
I once received a fine when parked at one that had wound down and would not accept my money. Despite my objections I was obliged to pay. I resolved to recover my money by not feeding meters, which I did for many years. I think I am even now.
We could certainly do with some smart ones in Port Elizabeth.

smilnsigh said...

No we don't. But we have a police officer who goes around, making sure there is a turnover.

And there is plenty of nearby parking in parking garages also.

And still, people complain. -grin-

Troop 1309 said...

We don't have metered parking in our area. We do have 2 hour time limits during the work week along some areas of Main Street. I don't know if that is ever enforced.