Saturday, March 1, 2008

Josephine's Dry Goods, Downtown Portland

jos_dry_goods_neon

I've often wondered, from my perch high above the street on the homeward-bound afternoon bus, just what Josephine's Dry Goods sign looks like lit up. Friday night after work I went to see "Bonneville" at the Fox Tower 10, a few blocks away from this shop at the corner of SW 11th and Alder. As I walked toward the bus stop, I realized my chance had come. Not only could I see the sign, I could photograph the sign. I have to say a word of thanks to Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Joan Allen and Tom Skerritt for the part they played in this photo. I went to see "Bonneville" because of the parts they played in the movie. I liked the movie enough to rent it when it goes to DVD so that Mama can see it.

According to Josephine's Web site, for over 25 years in downtown Portland, they've been selling fine fabrics with a focus on fashion sewing. When I've been at that bus stop in daylight, I've often stood at the window taking in the unique fabric blots standing shoulder to shoulder on round tables. I wonder if there's a remnant table? I'm no seamstress, but I love fabric, all that color, texture and design.

5 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

dry goods - as if anyone would want to buy wet goods!

Jim Klenke said...

I like the design of the sign, its neat looking.

WendyB said...

That's a pretty elegant sign.

Troop 1309 said...

Very colorful. I love fabric stores!

Carlos Lorenzo said...

I love pictures of neon lights. Nice showcase and sign.