Friday, March 14, 2008

Impact--the light and the dark

dark_clouds_buildings_reflect_sun
If you saw this sky, you'd think a storm was coming to wreak havoc, right? Wrong, at least in my part of Portland. Since we moved here in June, 2006, I've seen dark skies like this a few times, dark skies that in Mississippi most often meant a thunderstorm would arrive shortly. Here in Portland, I've heard it thunder two, maybe three, times, period.

Coming from behind my building, the sun reflected on the downtown buildings and made for a photo with impact.

I couldn't resist focusing on the sweet gum tree through the window for a photo.
dark_clouds_buildings_sweetgum

12 comments:

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I love the contrast here.

AVCr8teur said...

I was going to say you have another storm heading your way, but I guess it's not as threatening as it looks. Have a nice weekend! How's Momma and Flat Stanley? I hope all is well.

WendyB said...

Wow, it does look like a rather thrilling storm is on the way.

Anonymous said...

Our sky is often like this but more clouds and then it rains.

Jim Klenke said...

I love the difference in the pics. The city skyline looks great with the dark clouds.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking uh oh storm coming but it seems not :-)

I love the contrast between the sky and the light of the buildings

Photo Cache said...

nicely captured. i'm originally from the philippines so one of things i am thankful is that i rarely experience lightning and thunderstorm here in the bay area.

Marie said...

Wonderful photos. The contrast is impressive !

George Townboy said...

Wow! Two great photos!

Andrea said...

Interesting picture.....I am wondering what kind of tree this is blooming?

Dick said...

I like both pictures, the same and so different.

Neva said...

This is awesome!