Saturday, February 2, 2008

Heavenly Iris

First let me apologize for forgetting the monthly theme day. And for not having time or energy to look at all of your posts right now. I will at some point, and I know I will find them to be impressive.

grape_iris_altered_620x412

Last May I found this flower in a front yard, off Burnside in SE Portland. Naturally I thought it was beautiful and started to take a photo. Imagine my surprise when the homeowner, who saw me looking, said, "Smell it. It smells like grape Kool-Aid." I took a sniff, not knowing what to expect. She was so right. Neat-o!

Here's an interesting bit about the iris, in general, that I found by using Google:

This next piece of information is not exactly a legend, but we found it to be one of the neatest things we read. The flower got its name from the Greek goddess Iris, goddess of the rainbow. Iris was also know to be the messenger of Zeus and Hera. Iris would take messages from "the eye of Heaven" to earth travelling on the arc of the rainbow. The word iris means "eye of heaven". It was the name given to the goddess, this flower, and the center of your eye. This means that each of us carries a piece of heaven with us.

Update:

Mama moved to the bed by the window today. She says it's cooler on that side of the room, so she wraps up in a blanket while sitting in her chair. I'm going to take her warm vests with me when I go over there tomorrow. And a small footstool for her little feet. She said she worked about two hours this morning and one hour this afternoon in therapy. I told her that all of us are very proud of her and how hard she's working.

Duncan didn't have any accidents last night; we sort of slept on the couch. I've been fighting falling asleep sitting at my desk at work and on the bus and now at the computer. In a few minutes, I'll be stretched out on the couch.

He also didn't have any accidents today while I was at work. Lamont came over at 11 a.m. and took him out where he successfully did his business. That meant that I didn't come home to a mess myself--hooray. He's ready for me to hit the couch.

One thing before I go, please add to your prayers the safety of Lamont and his girlfriend Lindsay, and Leland, as they ride their bicycles to visit Mama, to meet her at the doctor, to our apartment to check on Duncan. Thank you so much.

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Beautiful color.

Glad Mama is doing better. Keep up the good work Mama.

AVCr8teur said...

Would Mama feel better with an electric blanket. I'm not sure they allow that in hospitals. I know sometimes those hospital rooms are either too hot or too cold. Is there public transportation Lamont, Lindsay, and Leland can take to visit Mama?

WendyB said...

Beautiful flower.I want to see that color in a piece of jewelry!

dot said...

I hope Mama can keep warm. I'll sure pray for those young folks on their bikes. Good to hear that Duncan is doing better.

Kerri Farley said...

Glad to hear Mama is improving...and Duncan too!

This is an absolutely stunning flower!

smilnsigh said...

Yes, that is a beautiful flower photo.

And so glad for the good news.

Good thoughts for the safety of the cyclists. The very helpful and loving cyclists.

Mari-Nanci

Joy said...

A beautiful flower - which I think represents the days ahead for Mama.

Keep well.

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and your kind comments. Have a wonderful week ahead. Drop by again!

joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach