Friday, February 8, 2008

Northwest Library

nw_library_enhanced

In May after I made one of my then many stops at the Northwest Library, on the corner of NW 23rd Avenue and Thurman, I took this photo, facing southwest. I guess you'd call it southwest, but to me it's more west than south. Anyway, the library is in a building that the Multnomah County Library Web page says has been a pharmacy, a potter's workshop and a winery and café. It's deceptively spacious once you go through the door there on the cut-off corner of the building. Here's some info from the site, about this branch of the Multnomah County Library system: This library offers books as well as audio and visual materials, periodicals and electronic resources in English and Spanish that can be accessed on site or from a home computer. Northwest customers have access to Multnomah County Library's systemwide catalog of two million books and other library materials.

Since discovering photo-blogging, I'm not reading books as often as I used to, so it's been a while since I went to the Northwest Library or the main branch downtown. I can get to that one easily after work, from either the 15 or the 18 bus. Another reason I'm not reading as much--I fall asleep easily now without having to read. I like that, too, which really surprises me considering how much I've always loved to read.

Update: Mama slept all night! She told me early this morning when I called as I rode the bus to work, "I feel like a new woman." Isn't that grand? And Captain Fred, from our Christmas Ship Parade ride back in December on my birthday, came to visit her this afternoon. She certainly enjoyed that, especially since she'd had a good night's rest.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice shot! That's awesome that you can access all that info from a home computer!

Jim Klenke said...

very nice that they are able to reuse the building instead of tearing it down just to be modern. Glad Mama had a good night.

smilnsigh said...

I love it, that this building has been many things. Think of all the stories, it's walls could tell, if they could talk. :-)

Excellent news of Mama! And so nice to have Capt. Fred come to visit her. Yes, I remember that posting. :-)

Mari-Nanci

sonia a. mascaro said...

I am glad to hear the good news about your Mom! Have a good weekend!

AVCr8teur said...

Sounds like Mama's getting back to her old self in no time. I would not have guessed that is a library from the way it looks outside. I don't read as often I used to either. Books on CD is an option. And, I really should renew my library card.

Troop 1309 said...

Nice photo. Its always fun finding out what the past lives of buildings have been.

Andrea said...

Glad to hear the good news about mama. Love the picture.

Sharon said...

Glad she was able to get some rest, that can work wonders :)

starvark said...

One of my colleagues has a Google alert whenever there are posts about our library system, and forwarded this to me. Nice shot!
I'm the supervisor of this particular branch library, and I thank you for having come by to visit us now and then. And remember, if you don't have tons of time to read these days, there are downloadable books, or books on cd or cassette, and you can find them all on the library website: www.multcolib.org (which I unabashedly plug).
Thanks, and take care!
--Patrick Provant

Lynette said...

Patrick, thanks for your comment. I had no idea such a thing as a Google Alert existed. Thanks for the info on the alternatives to reading regular books. And I'm glad you liked my photo of the Northwest Library.