Wednesday, February 6, 2008

ABC Wednesday - C is for Chard

chard_sidewalk_620x492

I'm walking across the Hawthorne Bridge, eastward. It's the middle of May. Purely by chance, I glance down toward my feet, something I am not wont to do on a bridge because I'm afraid of heights and might accidentally notice that the Willamette is far below. On the sidewalk up ahead, I see this rather large green leaf. When I stop to take a closer look, I see that it is replete with white veins and all by itself. Lamont identifies it for me later on as chard. Bonne chance! I have an ABC Wednesday C photo! Three cheers for the comely chard--hip, hip, hooray! Thanks to the congenial comer-and-goer who left the chard leaf for me to come across.

Update: It's no wonder that Mama is weak right now--she has lost about 13 pounds since she became ill, so we're embarking on a campaign to improve her dining selection as many days a week as possible. On the evenings Lamont works at the restaurant, he has permission and plans to make her a small take-out meal which either I or Leland will pick up and take the Mt. Tabor. Other days one of us will cook something at home and take some of it to her. Dr. Yutan OK'd this and also said to get her vitamins to her--she's malnourished. She's to return to see him in three weeks. She's ready to keep working at getting better, even if she does have a rash all over her back and night sweats two out of the last three nights; Dr. Yutan believes both to be a reaction to a drug she'd started taking after the stent went in, one that helps make the platelets not stick to the stent. He put her on a new drug today. He is glad that she shows no signs of depression, something we've not seen either.

Duncan is better each day although he has yet to gain any weight. We rode the bus over tonight after work, visited a while and got home in time to see most of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations from Tuscany and from New Orleans. Well, I watched. The tired little dog is asleep in his chair. Bourdain alternates from irreverent to reverent with each passing minute, but, oh, does he love food, eating food, learning about food, cooking food, shopping for food. Each episode I wish I were on his crew. OK, I'll tell the truth--I'm not sure I could deal very well with the Asian foods, but I'd still want to be there, camera in hand, peanut butter and crackers stashed away, just in case.

11 comments:

WendyB said...

Great picture! Good chard find.

Lilli & Nevada said...

That was a good choice for the letter C i never think about veggies.

Anonymous said...

Chard. I never think of things like that when I go to the store with my wife. Nice post.

dot said...

I don't think I've ever had chard. Can anything be as good as turnip greens??

bonnie said...

Now, what was chard doing in the middle of the bridge?

I think the drug is probably a good idea for Mama. My mother had a stent and it did clog and it was a very scary event for her. She had the stent put in as a PRECAUTION and it caused a heart attack. She didn't have that medicine.

Photo Cache said...

Hope mama gets back on her feet soon. Take care.

Neva said...

good looking and seeing the chard.

david mcmahon said...

Hope Mama is soon on the mend. Good on you for finding the chard leaf.

Pat said...

Very nice. I love chard!

Pat

Guelph Daily Photo, My Photos.

Joy said...

I love the simplicity of this. Great shot.

joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You
Norwich Daily Photo

Andrea said...

Chard......good "c" word.

Still praying for Mama