Wednesday, February 27, 2008

ABC Wednesday - F is for Funky

funky_enhanced

Since my first full day as a Portlander back in June 2006, I've wanted to take a photo of this sign. Finally I got the chance a week or so ago. I am excited to share it with y'all as my ABC Wednesday F photo.

How about that HBO logo? Is that from the '80s? And how about the design of the sign?

Way cool funky.

Finally, I'd like your opinion as to what in the world a COMM Discount is? See it there, on the red sign in the white letters, to the left of SENIOR? I'm at a complete loss as to something it could logically mean. All I can think of is community which would explain the number of beds advertised.

9 comments:

WendyB said...

Does anyone really get excited over free HBO nowadays?!

AVCr8teur said...

The sign kind of reminds me of those funky motels by Disneyland.

As for COMM, it is for "community" as the motel have special rates for homeless people as specified in the following website.
http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/2006/06/sten_does_lents.php

Kim said...

Well, I got excited to see this sign. I'm so glad you got this shot. Well seen! Your other commenter mentions the "funky motels" by Disneyland in Anaheim, where I grew up. Maybe that's why seeing this vintage sign in your thumbnail made me bring it right up on the screen. Oh, the Googie-ness appeal of it all! Looks like home (almost all the great motel signs around Disneyland are no more. . .sigh). I'm thinking I might jump in on this ABC Wednesday thing. . . is that allowed? Hopefully its an informal thing. Happy Wednesday!
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Jim Klenke said...

I like the signs also. First thing I thought with the HBO was has that been there since the 80s? Neat that it still looks like the sign works.

Anonymous said...

Comm also could mean Commercial rates. We used to see that a lot in days gone by.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I was thinking it might been commercial as in travelling salesmen.

brian stout said...

i thought commercial as well, since we get 'corporate' or 'commercial' rates when we travel with work. it's a very nostalgic cool retro sign... it is a very eye-catching photo also...

Neva said...

You find the coolest things to photograph....I wish I had your "eye"!

Troop 1309 said...

Its fun to see old signs still going strong!