Sunday, February 3, 2008

To Grandma's room we went

After a busy Saturday morning filled with walking and feeding Duncan and doing laundry, Duncan and I got ready to visit that little woman that he knows as Grandma. By the time we were ready to go, it was snowing, making for slushy sidewalks and wet streets. Although I got plenty of rest last night, I didn't want the stress of dealing with traffic, so I decided to go on the bus. Since Duncan felt better and is no stranger to going places in a bag, I put him in a roomy tote (along with a small towel) and stashed that in my American Tourister Mobile Office. A few seconds after I took this photo in the building's lobby, he settled down into the bag, I zipped it almost shut, and we were rolling right after I had attached my Yak Trax to my shoes--they're rubber and metal traction devices.
dunc_rbag
Our first stop was the Fred Meyer store for some cherry-flavored store-brand cough drops--Mama's had a cough this week, but her lungs sound clear. I also got her a four-pack of diced peaches, one of her favorite snacks.

We boarded a 15 bus just across the street from the grocery, at Burnside and SW 19th, and disembarked about 25 minutes later at SE 60th and Belmont. My cell phone rang just as I stepped onto the sidewalk--Mama calling. I asked her to hold on and walked to the covered entrance ramp. She asked, "What was that noise?" when I had said hello. I explained that it was the bus and that we were just outside. "Can you stand up and look out your window?" I asked. I managed to unzip the rolling bag enough for her to realize that Duncan was inside. She thought that was neat, she told me when we walked into her room a few moments later.

We visited while she nibbled at her lunch, Duncan beside her on the bed. I put away all of her clean clothes--that's why there's a second black rolling bag in the photo. Then we made our way down the hall to the sitting/TV area where we played Scrabble for several hours. I have to say that I barely beat her--it was the luck of the draw. Also we got to visit with a couple of sweet Great Danes who come regularly to the facility. Duncan enjoyed a sniff or two with the male dog, Goliath, whose nose didn't seem much smaller than Duncan's whole head. By the time we finished the game, Mama was ready for some bed rest. It obvious that she's got a ways to go to regain her strength, but it's so gratifying that she's willing to work at it. I just hope that she regains her appetite--it's gone again. Perhaps when she visits her regular doctor on Tuesday, he can prescribe something to help boost it.

We kissed and hugged, and the two of us headed for the elevator. In the lobby, closer to the outdoors, I put on my layers and got Duncan's tote ready for him, where I put him after a potty break. While we waited for the bus across from Mt. Tabor, I took the photo below. Mama's room is on the third floor; I forgot to count over from the left to see which one was hers. I think it's probably the seventh one.
tabor
As you can tell, the snow had stopped. We made it home just fine. As soon as I post this, we're going to doze on the couch. If we were watching TV all of this time that we're on the couch, would that make us a couple of couch potatoes? Isn't that part of the definition of couch potato--sitting in front of the TV?

10 comments:

WendyB said...

Aw..sweet doggie picture!

Jim Klenke said...

Duncan looks so cute. Sounds like today was a good day, except for the snow.

dot said...

Sounds like ya'll had a nice visit. Duncan looks cute peeking out of that case!

Gerald (SK14) said...

flipping eck - in the UK they don't allow dogs into hospitals at all!! They'd go beserk and ban you altogether if you even tried.

Great to know you are doing quite well.

Kate said...

Love the dog photo!

Joy said...

He's adorable! But did I read that right - you zipped it (almost) shut? He must be some doggie dog dog!

joy
Norwich Daily Photo
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach

Andrea said...

Now that is so precious. I am glad you had a good visit.

smilnsigh said...

Precious photo. Precious entry. I am smiling from ear to ear.

Mari-Nanci

AVCr8teur said...

Duncan is such a good dog to sit in the tote bag. My dog would never stand for that. Mama must've been very happy to see him. I think it's good therapy for her.

Uma por Dia said...

say hy to Duncan, he knows how to travel||