Monday, June 16, 2008

Up and over and down and up and around and over.

Saturday afternoon I walked up onto and across the Burnside Bridge for the first time, from west to east, left to right in the photo. I paused every so often to take photos. From this one, you know that I made it all the way over the bridge and down to the east side of the river.
burnside_bridge

When I got to the east end of the bridge, I decided to walk down these steps. I held on tight enough to make my hand sort of dirty from running along the steel pipe handrail, but I made it to the sidewalk. I took this photo so you could see the stairs.
burnside_bridge_stairs
Here's some interesting info on the stairs that I found at the city of Portland's Web site: The historic nature of the Burnside Bridge prohibits any structure from adding any weight to the bridge: the connector that connects the Esplanade to the Burnside Bridge does not lean on the bridge, it merely 'kisses' the bridge. The connector is held in place by pilings sunk into a huge concrete base and the tower structure bears the weight of the stair truss.

When I got to the Eastbank Esplanade, I didn't take the floating sidewalk northward. Here's a photo of that part of it, though.
eastbank_floating_sidewalk

I walked from the Burnside Bridge to the pedestrian/bicycle ramp that connects to the Morrison Bridge.
morrison_bridge

Looking at the curved ramp, I decided I could make it up and around if I stayed on the inside of the curve. Here's a photo I took from the middle of the bridge, looking eastward toward the ramp.
Morrison_ramp
I did feel short-lived moments of anxiety, but I'm actively working at overcoming my fear of bridges and heights, determined to increase my first-hand knowledge of these wonderful Willamette River bridges and the views from them.

3 comments:

Kris McCracken said...

It looks like a splendid day there!

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" is glad you posted these photos - He's been on the Burnside Bridge, so these photos are relevant to him. Also, "Louis" has a touch of acrophobia compounded by occasional bouts of vertigo, so he identifies with what you put yourself through to get these shots!

* * * *

The polar opposite of Chuck Pefley's Vespas.

Jim Klenke said...

Looks like a long walk. Glad for us you did it, the pictures are great.