Saturday, June 21, 2008

Elusive alien ice cube formations, captured again

For those of you who missed my first sighting of alien ice cube formations,
click here to see my post last November.

Since then, I had noticed the random nub now and then, at work and at home, but never enough to photograph.

Yesterday at lunch time, that changed.

I opened the freezer door, thinking about my sweet tea that needed some fresh ice. As I reached with my right hand to remove the ice tray, I gasped. Alien ice cube formations! Quickly I shut the freezer door and sped off to the cube where I work, to get my camera from my rolling black bag. Thankfully no one else had removed the tray from the freezer, as you can see in this photo.
ice_tray_freezr

Wanting to get a better shot and not thinking about how difficult it would be to focus on four widely spaced slivers of ice, I set the tray on the counter. Carefully, in order not to disturb the delicate formations, I placed my flowered plastic lunch bag and my NASCAR Talladega Aarons 499, April 2006, lemonade cup behind it, to frame the alien ice cube formations in an attractive and artistic manner. Click.
ice_tray_counter_side_view
Like any self-respecting, detail-oriented explorer/document-er of the strange, weird, and seldom seen, I took another photo from a different angle.
ice_tray_counter
Many more of these sightings, and I'll have to come up with a suitable scientific name for the alien ice cube formations. Any ideas, y'all?

7 comments:

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

These odd ice formations remind me of stalagtites or stalagmites seen in caves. Whichever one builds up from a drip from above.

Louis la Vache said...

Oh.
Stalagmites.
Imported from Carlsbad Cavern to your freezer at work?
hmmmmmm
Maybe there WAS something to that purported UFO in Roswell......

Jim Klenke said...

Those are the antennas the aliens use to communicate with their mother ship. They retract into the ice after a while, when the communications are complete.

WendyB said...

They're heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere.
They are poltergeist ice cubes.
Beware!

Andrea said...

We have an ice maker so we have not made ice in ice trays in a long time. Interesting shapes. Like something was trying to pull them out.

Anonymous said...

Yep. Gas in the water. They should test it. It rises to the surface when water is put in the tray and then tries to escape but the bubble it is in freezes and it keeps going until the last bit of gas has leaked out and that is how you get alien ice cubes.

Other wise I was going to just leave the following. My arthritis hurts like hell so this saves typing.

I do visit and I do comment and I was here. I did look at your picture(s) and I did read what you wrote about them. I could say how great you are and how beautiful your work is but alas I would soon run out of things to say on the next blog I visited, so I just left this to prove I stopped and said a few words on Sunday.

Troop 1309 said...

Now that is odd! Great photo!