Sunday, June 22, 2008

Monday, June 23, 2008 ... Things are not what they seem, and that's the truth

I know you're wondering why this post says, "Monday, June 23, 2008" in the title and Sunday, June 22, 2008, in the date area that Blogger provides. And there's a good chance you're wondering what someone whose allergies have been kicking her in the boo-tay is doing taking photos of flowers afield. Here's the truth.

Ever since Blogger made a change of some magnitude in early May, I've tried to work with Blogger and the City Daily Photo portal to make my posts show up on the portal after I've published them, with the date that I want on them. It's just not happening for me on a regular basis. I wish they'd go back to the way it was, so that I could do what I used to do: I fixed up my post for tomorrow, tonight, so that I didn't have to stay awake until after midnight or try to post early in the morning because I value my sleep too much to want to get up any earlier. To make sure the date was correct, I'd go to Post Options and put in the next day's date and 12:01 AM. It would then publish with that information on it. Since May 2, if I do that, it doesn't actually publish until then, right after midnight, when I have told Blogger to schedule it for publishing. That's a great big ol' bunch of hooey, to me. At my age, I don't want to fuss with technology that won't do what I want it to do, so I'm going to post the night before most all of the time and type the date that I want the post to pertain to in my title for the post.

pcsq_wf_yellow_black_ctr

Now, for the flowers. I took these photos, and several more, at Portland's Living Room, Pioneer Courthouse Square, right downtown. My allergies let me along except for a few sneezes. In fact, the only real interruption came when I walked up to Broadway to see what the whooping and hollering was about and found myself watching a small, boisterous, happy portion of the Lesbian and Trans-sexual Parade, complete with motorcycle police who had them pause regularly so that the MAX trains could continue their scheduled runs, east and west beside the square. Ah, Portland.

Information from the Pioneer Courthouse Square Calendar of Events:
Festival of Flowers Presented by Hoffman Construction Company
On Display: June 6 – 18, Flower Sale: Begins June 19 at 8am

This June marks the return of one of Portland’s most renowned annual events, Festival of Flowers at Pioneer Courthouse Square. This year Pioneer Courthouse Square has partnered with The American Institute of Architects’ Committee on the Environment and Hoffman Construction to create a sustainable “urban meadow” in the heart of downtown. Over 15,000 plants of vibrant color will blend together on-site to create a stunning display for community members and visitors to enjoy. An estimated 350,000 people gather during this two-week celebration to enjoy the opening of the summer season with flowers and fun!

pcsq_wflowers_yellow_foregrnd
I only took photos of flowers in the urban meadow and will post more of them soon.

On Thursday and Friday afternoons, as I disembarked from my first bus at the corner of SW 2nd and Main, I saw several people with flat cardboard boxes filled with flowers they'd bought on their lunch hours, I imagine. Ah, Portland.

10 comments:

Warren said...

that's a really nice flower photo, great colors!

Jim Klenke said...

Those colors jump out at you. I like it.

I have the same problem with blogger. I was typing up my post at night with it to publish at 6am. Then the next morning, after I am ready for work but before 6, I would have to go in and change it to a minute before the actual time. So, if I log into blogger at 550am in the AM and its scheduled to post at 6am, I go in and change the time on post options to 549am. Got it? There will be a test. PITA really. Now I just wing it and post it in the morning.

Lynette said...

Jim, I wondered if anyone else was having any problems with scheduling their posts. Thanks for letting me know how you've decided to handle yours--I'm not logical enough to do such a thing myself.

WendyB said...

That first picture is stunning.
I'm all confused by Blogger :-(

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" apprecaites your taking these photos - allergies and all!

Knoxville Girl said...

Beautiful flowers, thanks for sharing, even with your allergies (I live in the Allergy Capital of America, apparently. It's no fun here in spring and then again in late summer)
I scheduled a week of posts in Blogger while I was an vacation, and they all posted as far as I could tell. I've scheduled one for today also, so I'll see what happens.

Troop 1309 said...

Beautiful photos!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Absolutely beautiful imahes. The colours really do pop.

Neva said...

I am so with you on the whole blogger publisher...I just publish and change it later if it bugs me! Love your flowers!

brian stout said...

i just love that first shot.. the colors and shapes in it are amazing!