Monday, June 30, 2008

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 ... heat relief

I took these two photos Saturday afternoon, across the street from Keller Auditorium where I'd just seen "Avenue Q." Frequent visitors will remember my ABC Wednesday, V is for Voluptuous post that featured Lucy, a saucy puppet from the musical. It's amazing that I lucked out when a friend at work offered me her friend's ticket because the friend of my friend couldn't come into the city for the show. So, I got to go see the 2 p.m. matinee. I laughed a lot, enjoyed the singing very much, marveled continuously at the talent and creativity. The entire auditorium full of people joined right in with me, too. I have to say that I've never seen puppets so raucous, so filled with angst, so reflective of many of society's 20- and 30-somethings in search of their purpose. The biggest laugh came in the last song, "For Now," when they sing "And we'll accept the things we cannot avoid, for now..."(I've left out some of the lyrics here, but they're listing things that are only for now, and go to this next line) ... "Is only for now! (George Bush!)" ... That's when the crowd roared the loudest!

fountain_100_cropped

Later when I walked in the apartment door after my bus ride home, I heard the weather person on TV saying, "... and in Portland today, a new record of 100 degrees." No wonder all of those folks were at the fountain making memories--soaking wet, jumping, laughing, taking photos!

fountain_100_wide

From the City of Portland's Web site:

Ira Keller's Civic Theatre Forecourt Fountain between SW 3rd and 4th, and Market and Clay

13,000 gallons of water per minute cascade through this fountain. The fountain holds 75,000 gallons of water. Its terraces and platforms suggest the Northwest's abundant waterfalls. Angela Danadjieva designed this fountain for Lawrence Halprin Associates. People have gathered here since its completion in 1971.

Please use caution while enjoying this fountain. Like all streams and waterfalls, slippery surfaces, rapidly moving water, pools of water, and high drop-offs require careful attention. Please stay back from edges due to falling hazard.

The Portland Water Bureau works to make sure that the fountain today is true to the spirit of Lawrence Halprin’s vision.
In the mid - 1990s a major restoration costing nearly ¾ of a million dollars addressed problems related to old age. The Portland Water Bureau:

o Restored loose rock on the surfaces of the block.
o The blocks had shifted and there were some very major leaks. The bureau project restored the blocks to their original configuration and grouted between them.
o Brought the electrical components up to code.
o Updated lighting fixtures.
o Upgraded the chlorination system so it was automated and could keep chlorine levels consistent with what is in swimming pools to protect public health.

In 2005, the Portland Water Bureau’s operating engineers worked on the pumps and motors while the fountain was off for the winter season. Their work reduced electricity needed to keep water moving by 17% last season. That’s good for the environment and city ratepayers.

13 comments:

Anna said...

What a spectacular fountain!

A.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

great shots! It's strange here- usualy it's really hot here by now, but it's staying pretty low (80's) I know it will get here, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Abe's just visiting...

You know looking at the kids perched up there and the water being slick and all, I wonder how many cracked skulls happen there each year. I got scared, honestly, just looking at the scene.

I don't like cliffs. Some idiot must have pushed me off of one. I used to just about wet myself when we would go to mountains and the kids would all take off like rabbits for the edge to look over.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am working on colors at the moment and this brown one don't look so good.

The bees are back in Brookville, Ohio. I hope for the rest of the year at least. I even got one on my Better Blog Writing post today. LOL

—Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Jim Klenke said...

100 is hot, ick. I would be right there with everyone else enjoying the water.

Chris said...

100 degrees? But is it a dry heat? ROTFLOL I would love to sit in that fountain, though.

I laughed when I read about what you said about the crowd laughing hardest at putting up with the idiot "for now." Only 203 days left, kids. . . only 203 days left.

Thanks for the comments about the retirement. It has been stressful getting through the decision and then his last 4 weeks at work after it was announced. I just do not handle stress that well for some reason. I guess, though, if I have to have stress, this was a good one to have!! :-)

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

Lynette, those two men on my today's first post were free-riding the tram, while obbeying the sign at the same time!!! Aren't they soooo clever?? LOL!!!

YOUR PHOTOS TODAY ARE AMAZING!!!

WendyB said...

That looks like fun!

Denton said...

I was going to comment about how dangerous the plunge looked but then I got distracted by your "V is for Voluptuous" photo and I guess I had the same thought on that photo as well.

Try to stay cool.

brian stout said...

cool post - i think some of those people look dangerously close to a big drop off...

George Townboy said...

Great looking fountain! Those drops do look dangerous though.

Ken said...

Now that's a fountain. But please kept the heat out there;)

Andrea said...

This looks like some refreshing fun.

Anonymous said...

How awesome! I would love to play here!