Sunday, October 7, 2007

Fall Colors, on NW Everett Street in the Northwest Hills

100707_cars_street_fall_colors_469x625

This evening the television weatherman said that Portland's weather is more like November than October, as much as ten degrees cooler than it ought to be. When I was a kid growing up, October meant cooler weather and the leaves changed color, so I think it's just right.

On our street you can see reds beginning to overtake greens in one of the trees in front of the Manhattan. I first saw the change in the tree when I looked out the bathroom window. Then I noticed the yellow and black car with the For Sale sign in the window, and continuing on up the sidewalk, I saw the red car and the other yellow car. Ah. A perfect fall foliage photo, with street-level accessories. I leaned out one of Mama's bedroom window to get the shot I wanted.

P.S. I took the close-up of the leaves resting on the sidewalk in the rain Thursday evening after shopping for groceries at our nearby Fred Meyer. I couldn't resist that vivid red.

10707_red_green_leaves_620x434

20 comments:

dot said...

The cars certainly do add to the fall scene. Be careful hanging out those windows!

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

ooh, the colors are starting. It's not here, yet. It's staying too warm, I guess.

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

Neat shot! :)

(I like the "with street-level accessories" part a lot :))

• Eliane • said...

It is going to be sooo pretty!!! I am all for accessories - love the little yellow one you have parked there! :)

Rob at Kintropy said...

Great pictures! It's nice to see Autumn return here in Hillsboro, too.

Clueless in Boston said...

Very nice, I didn't catch the colorful cars at first. You could do a whole series hanging out that window in different seasons. The vivid red leaves in the second picture are gorgeous!

mrsnesbitt said...

Autumnal here today! Rain and fog! No bike adventure!

Andrea said...

How nice. I am ready for fall. I just hope we have pretty colors with the drought we have had this summer.

GMG said...

Great pictures and beautiful posts.
Sorry for having been a bit absent lately, but I was abroad on a professional trip last week. One day I’ll probably show some pictures from a somehow unusual destination...
Meanwhile, trying to recover some time, I’m posting on Germany (Koblenz, December 2005) on Blogtrotter.
Have a great week!

Gretchen said...

Great pic!

It's hotter here than normal. It was in the 90s last week! Where is our cooler fall temps?

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

lovely shot - as always the weather never knows what it is doing here from one day to the next - I've just done a post about wind turbines.

Anonymous said...

You are ahead of us here in Ohio as far as fall colors goes. We are just now beginning to show some changes but nothing startling. In fact it has been in the 90s here and dry as a bone. I hope next year is back to normal as this one wasn't.

Nice post you made. I like it and your narrative.

Neva said...

And here it is 10* warmer than normal but the trees are still changing!

Kate said...

Wonderful photos! One tree has leaves that actually look PINK!

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to carry my camera and start capturing all the colors in my neighborhood. We have red-reds, chartreuse greens, wonderful yellows, and oranges.. all next to each other!
Your photos are DElicious!! Thank you!

Lynette said...

Thanks to everyone who has visited this post. I've tried to return the visit and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Terraflora, I can't find you, so I hope you'll visit again with a way to return the favor. Good luck with your fall foliage photography.

Ming the Merciless said...

You guys are so lucky to have fall colors already. It is still hot and humid here so it feels like summer.

Olivier said...

elle est tres belle ta derniere photo. Je lui trouve un cote melancolique et triste. bravo


it is very beautiful your last photograph. I find a dimension to him melancholic and sad. cheer

sonia a. mascaro said...

What a nice street with wonderful fall foliage!

Annie said...

I love this one.