Thursday, January 17, 2013

Seen in downtown Portland

Click here for a trip to City Daily Photo, transporting you around the world every day.

DSC_0496_cropped

After I had walked over the Hawthorne Bridge on January 8, I continued towards the bus stop at SW 2nd Avenue and SW Main so that I could catch my first bus of the two it takes me to get home. Before I got to that bus stop in the next block, I noticed the lights of a bus which had stopped behind this lady on the bicycle, shining on her. Naturally I had to take a photo, then when the light changed, I hot-footed it for the next corner because the bus behind her was the one I wanted to catch!

You can see how prepared she is for our usual rainy winter weather, with her hooded, bright green rain coat and her tall rubber boots. It alarms me that she doesn't have a helmet--mothers get alarmed by stuff like that. I'm glad to see that she has a light on the back of the bicycle--there near where her raincoat is reflected in the red bike's aluminum (I suppose) fender. What do you think about the angle of the handlebars? Pointed straight up, it seems to me. I hope I come across here again some time so that I can take another photo to compare with this one. 

Once I saw the photo on the iMac, I decided that it had turned out much better than I had expected. Here are the reasons I believe that to be true:

  • The headlights shine into the intersection, making a slight shadow of the lady and her bicycle.
  • The dashes that outline the bike lane follow the angle of SW Main as it departs the Hawthorne Bridge and continues westward up  the street. I'm usually up in a bus and don't get to see the street like this.
  • Also, it's neat that the trees still have lights on them--something left over from the holidays.
  • Finally, I like the pedestrians who've crossed at the intersection. I imagine each one feels as good as I remember feeling about no rain on that particular evening. The last woman in the group on the left of the intersection wears stiletto-style black boots. Amazing that anyone willingly puts those on their feet and heads out to work all day in them. Even when I was young and slim, I couldn't bear the thought of doing that to my feet. 

5 comments:

Janet said...

That would be a pretty drive through town, whether by bike or by bus.

Jim Klenke said...

I like it because it looks like the lady has her way lit up for her. The lights are leading her up the street to find some unknown treasure.

Julie(t) said...

What great lighting, accenting the green shades of her jacket. Almost neon.

Randy said...

Looks like an old bike. Nice evening shot.

-K- said...

What's worth noting, at least for me here in Los Angeles, is a bicyclist actually obeying a stop sign. To tell the truth, I'm not sure what the law is here in California but at smaller intersections they seem to feel they have the constant right of way over pedestrians.