Thursday, March 29, 2012

My March Madness, about so much more than basketball.

DSC_0473_picnik
Gorgui Dieng's joyous smile--soft, glowing, and genuine--makes me so happy to have been at the game on March 15 so that I could watch him (and his team) play, to see this smile come across his face as he walked off the court at game's end, and to able to take this photo. What a privilege. I mean that, straight from my heart.

And then when I was getting this post ready, I found this enlightening commentary on ESPN dot com, ”Gorgui Dieng living his dream,” by Eamonn Brennan. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face, filled with awe and hope. I want to share this with you, thus my photo and this link. I hope you have a chance to click on the link, read the article, and join me in finding out more about this remarkable young man.

I am thankful that I found Mr. Brennan's piece online because, well, you know that feeling you get when you connect with someone new, someone you instantly like, want to know more about. That's exactly what happened to me, a 64-year-old Mississippian who loves basketball, when I saw this young man play, and I had not even really met him. Like I said in an earlier post, Gorgui Dieng is a good reason to pull for Louisville.

2 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

You have really gotten some great shots and stories from your fun weekend. I hope to be able to be able to enjoy the NCAA in person some day.

Randy said...

That's a good one!