Thursday, April 23, 2015

To sock or not to sock, the mannequin's main question, back on April 23, 2009

DSC_0217

I think this was a window at Nordstrom, downtown Portland. Well, I know it was downtown, and I'm pretty sure that I took this sort of photo at Nordstrom because I walked past it to get to the homebound bus after being out and about, maybe at a movie at the Fox Tower or ushering at what was then the Portland Center for the Performing Arts. Anyway, the socks and/or lack of socks caught my attention. Here's what I found online about those words in the window: Moschino Cheap and Chic (women's secondary line, created in 1988)

DSC_0220

The socks fascinated me, especially these mint green ones worn with what look to be brown suede high-heeled sandals.

DSC_0219

Are these made of raffia, maybe decorated only with it? I don't know much about fashion, but I'm certain that these sock-less mannequin feet and ankles are much more comfortable than any human feet would be in these. In other words, I don't much like the cut of the toe opening or the height of the heel. I wonder if, back in 1972 when I wore particularly outrageous platform shoes with hot pants and mini skirts; I wonder would I have felt limber enough and in balance enough and strong enough to have worn them?

DSC_0218

The angle of the mannequin's foot makes these shoes look abusive to the ball and the arch of the foot, but I am once again fascinated with these socks. I can just imagine the pains taken by the window dresser with each sock, perfected until satisfaction flooded that person's mind. Yep, that's what I believe happened here as well as with the mint green socks in the top photo. Much more rewarding to sock, for sure!

About Moschino itself: Moschino is an Italian luxury fashion house, specilialized ready-to-wear, leather and fashion accessories, shoes, luggage, perfume etc., founded in 1983 by Franco Moschino.

3 comments:

Patty said...

I hate to say this, but even in my younger day, I didn't wear really spiky heels and always wore nylon hose with my heels. No socks thank you, they were to be worn with my penny loafers and my bobby socks with my saddles. LOL the good old days.

William Kendall said...

Those shoes look like murder to walk in.

Randy said...

I say no sock.