Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Seen at the NBA Playoffs at the Rose Garden, April 21, 2011.

--> DSC_0111

My first-ever NBA play off game, in person! I turned up, all excited and not knowing what to expect, certainly not someone in a rabbit suit wearing a Martel Webster jersey and being photographed by other fans. Fun!

DSC_0124

The first syncopated drum group I ever heard, back in my old Southeast Portland neighborhood in the summer of 2006 when they were in a parade. When I walked up and heard them, I got so excited! I love their sound! Google and find videos of them on YouTube--The Last Regiment of Syncopated Drummers. They are superb! I am somewhat disappointed in the perspective of my photos of them outside the Rose Garden Arena--what the name of the building used to be where the Portland Trail Blazers play their home games. I should have joined those people seen in the shade on the right edge of the photo; I'll bet they got some great photos along the drum line.

DSC_0133

Once inside, I found the balcony that used to overlook the arena campus. I heard the LRSD, looked over, and took a few photos. I took this at 6:01 p.m.; the game probably started a little after 7:30 p.m.

DSC_0131

A closer shot of the LRSD in action. I like this photo!

DSC_0140

Blurry, but still fun and representative of the enthusiasm of Blazers' fans! I cannot remember if I discovered why they were looking towards where I was sitting, but the game wouldn't begin for almost on hour and a half, so they had plenty of time to look around, watching people just like I was doing. The lady on the right is pointing out something which she evidently finds delightful and wants to be sure those two with her get to see it, too. I wonder what I missed by not looking that direction? The next photo in line gives no clue.

DSC_0003

Each fan got one of these special noisemakers as we entered the arena. Talk about fun to shake and make a loud drumming noise!

DSC_0036

Closer look at this fun little item which I still have!

DSC_0007

Before games and at the end of half time, this inflated, remotely controlled Ford flies around the arena, intermittently dropping coupons for random items, DVDS, caps, I cannot remember whatall because I don't pay attention. Where I sit the Ford doesn't fly, in my opinion because it wouldn't take long for some exuberant fan to fall from the 300 level while attempting to catch a small piece of paper falling this way, falling that way, enticing folks to act foolishly with no regard for their safety. I'm thankful that I don't sit where this happens, though the next season when I had my first season ticket seat on the front row of that 300 level, a man on the row behind me foolishly thought that a T-shirt shot from the basketball court from a giant slingshot operated by three members of the Portland Trail Blazer Stunt Team would be within his reach. The guy landed on my left shoulder and that side of my head. I looked at him sideways and said, "Get off me." He did.

DSC_0009

Chiropractor fodder, some of these folks bending their heads back as they watch the inflated Ford fly. Notice the noisemakers? A couple of people appear to be shaking them for all they're worth already, and tip-off is still about an hour away!

DSC_0017

Part of the magic witnessed when the home team introductions took place at the Rose Garden Arena. Go, Blazers!

DSC_0069

Blazers win! Blazers win! That's what game announcer Mark Mason said after the Blazers defeated the Dallas Mavericks 97-92. We won the next home game on April 23, 84-82, but lost the series after Dallas won the next two games in Dallas.

Since I'm having surgery on April 24, I doubt I'll get to attend any of the Trail Blazers' first-round playoff games this season. If we make it out of the first round, I may get to go. The Blazers must play astronomically better than they did in Memphis on Sunday night for that to happen.

3 comments:

Birdman said...

The Griz are tough. Good luck to your Blazers. Had so much fun going to a game there. It's true!

William Kendall said...

Mascots do get a lot of photo attention!

Randy said...

Nothing like watching the playoffs live.