Sunday, April 5, 2015

Huh? No. 1

DSC_0070_crop_7713137646_55fd3caa4a_o

When I came across the original of this photo in my Flickr album entitled Quirky, I had to take a close look to discover why I had put it in that particular folder. To tell you the truth, if I hadn't looked closely, I would have been hard-pressed to remember why I had taken the photo in the first place on July 29, 2012. So, I decided to crop it so that you could see what caught my eye--that little dog perched on the stroller, personifying determination and balance as the woman pushed it across the wet grass, almost muddy in spots. Surely those conditions meant a bumpy ride for that pup, but you'd never know it from that stance. And we'll never know if there was another occupant in the stroller, drat it.

DSC_0078_7713137646_55fd3caa4a_o

This is how I cropped the photo at first, trying to keep you guessing where I stood to take the photo, what with the proximity of the streetlight's globe. Any idea where I'm standing?

DSC_0070_alt_7713137646_55fd3caa4a_o

Here's the original photo. I'm standing on the west end of the Hawthorne Bridge where it turns into an approach to the streets of downtown. I'm looking north at part of Tom McCall Waterfront Park. The teal-colored building is home to the Portland Rose Festival, in the historic John Yeon Building, built in 1948. Found on Wikipedia: In this, his only major non-residential commission, Yeon combined the principles of the International style with strong influences of the Northwest Regional style, which he pioneered. Northwest Regional elements include the naturally-inspired color scheme, the use of plywood walls and louvered ventilation panels, and concern for the site's unique views.

3 comments:

Birdman said...

My guess is there's more to the carriage then meets the eye. And now the rest of the story...

Randy said...

That is too funny.

William Kendall said...

The dog seems to like the ride!