Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday, July 26, 2008 - Green leaves, Southeast Portland

green_leaves_615x529
Walking on Mother's Day, along SE 37th between Division and Hawthorne, the contours, shapes, lines, and color of these leaves caught me eye.
green_leaves_615x470
Luckily someone had planted them in a narrow bed between the inner edge of the sidewalk and a stone retaining wall. Otherwise I would have missed the chance to take several photos.

What I have for you here are two tight crops, accentuating what drew me to the leaves in the first place. I especially like the overall shape of the leaves, sort of like funnels. See those drops of water? I wonder how long it took them to slide down into the plant.

10 comments:

WendyB said...

Lovely.

brian stout said...

beautiful shots, lynette! i love the colors and the lines in the leaves...

Jim Klenke said...

Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Those are large hosta leaves and they are always nice to see. I have, over the years, planted lots of hosta in all colors and sizes and they are always special to me. Even the hummingbirds love them for the nectar they provide in their flowers.

The crop sure has made the twisting leaves more complex-looking and I like them that way.

Lori said...

Those are lovely shots. Nice job.

Pboud said...

So beautiful! I love those folds and curls.

A.

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" really likes the geometry of these images! Good job!

Jill said...

Hostas are such an interesting plant and come in so many varieties. Great shots Lynette.

YPsworld said...

Great pics!!

Andrea said...

Great shot. Love the droplets and the curls in the leaves. Very different and pretty.