Thursday, July 24, 2008

Friday, July 25, 2008 - From the Eastbank Esplanade, the Hawthorne Bridge and a portion of downtown Portland's skyline

072508_hawthorne_skyline_blue_sky
July 9, when lunch time rolled around, I took my zippered-shut plastic tote and set off walking on the approach to the Hawthorne Bridge, thinking I'd make my way down the curving ramp beneath the Marquam Bridge and find somewhere to sit and eat lunch on the Eastbank Esplanade.

Right beside the Hawthorne Bridge, I found a backless bench on a fenced-in concrete deck that juts out from the shore, right next to a fire station. I spread out my camera, my bottle of sweet iced tea I'd brought from home, my paperback book, my sandwich and Fritos. As much as I enjoyed my food and drink, I enjoyed the glorious blue sky even more. To tell the truth, though, I didn't find enough people-watching to satisfy me, so since then I've been riding a bus across the bridge, walking a couple of blocks to one or the other of the parks on either side of the Thompson Elk, finding a bench in the sun or the shade, and eating my lunch there. Plenty of people, plenty of vehicles--a watcher's (and photographer's) paradise.

6 comments:

WendyB said...

You always do great sky photos.

Lynette said...

Thanks, WendyB!

And thanks to everyone else who has visited and commented.

Y'all, I'm not visiting and/or commenting much this week because my computer's telling me I need to get some photos out of it, so I'm working Flickr like crazy, evenings after work--except for Tuesday when I went to see Emmylou Harris and tomorrow night when I'm going to see Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings.

I shall return to look at your splendid offerings, never fear. It's one of my favorite things to do.

Kris McCracken said...

First, my apologies for a bit of cut and paste commenting. I have been doing the rounds via Bloglines and looking at all the pictures from my favourite photo blogs, but haven’t been leaving comments. Generally, I try to comment as much as I can (I know how good it is for ‘morale’ to know that someone is out there appreciating them), but after the birth of my second son, I am a bit knackered to think up something witty and insightful on the hop. Thus the resort to Control+C and Control+P!

Kris from Hobart, Tasmania.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful view from your perch. The sky is so nice.

Have a nice weekend,

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo

Jim Klenke said...

Great view, looks like it was a clear day.

YPsworld said...

Great picture, I love Portland's Skyline :)