Sunday, July 6, 2008

Monday, July 7, 2008 ... Standpipe, SW 4th Avenue

standpipe_sw4th

From Merriam-Webster online: standpipe
Pronunciation:
\ˈstan(d)-ˌpīp\
Function:
noun
Date:
circa 1850

: a high vertical pipe or reservoir that is used to secure a uniform pressure in a water-supply system

I wonder why I don't remember noticing any of these fire fighting devices--as well as the other styles I've seen and photographed in Portland--in the cities where I've lived as an adult: Jackson, Mississippi, Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas, Houston, Texas. Just now, sitting in our 4th floor apartment with the windows open, a cool breeze blowing across the room in July, for Pete's sake, I've decided I know the answer. I never really walked around in those cities like I do here because the weather often was too hot and humid for me to want to be outside. Or it could be sheets of rain, blowing in the wind, so I didn't want to be outside.

I like being outside in Portland, walking. So I notice more. And I carry my Nikon D50 with me most all of the time, ready to take photos of whatever strikes my fancy. Then I get to download the photos and find other neat things I didn't see in the first place, like this parking garage reflected in the granite.

Ain't life grand?

9 comments:

Warren said...

I think someone should have taken a picture of you standing there taking a picture of the pipe, with the "standpipe" sign in the background... *smile*

Mary Helen said...

So you have a Nikon D50?
Your pictures are great..I have a Canon Rebel...I'm looking around for a new camera, mine is not working well and at times it won't even download..crazy huh?

I'll look up the Nikon D50 to check it out. Great photos, I always love to come by because I used to live in Portland and then Gresham Oregon.

brian stout said...

i love finding things in photos after i download them... and how funny, i didn't realize that was a reflection til reading your post =) nice photo!

Tash said...

Interesting post & explanation. I'm like you, carrying my camera everywhere, noticing new things all the time, even in a city I've lived for 20 years! I enjoyed your photos of the 4th. Lovely family.
our friends that moved to Portland about 10 years ago say that everyone walks around all the time - and are not bothered by a bit of rain.

Joy said...

Now that's what I call good thinking. I haven't spotted anything similar over here in Norwich, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Many thanks for your visits to Norwich Daily Photo. I have just celebrated my first year anniversary and I hope you'll take a peek! I have just started my Summer Hues series and I hope you'll enjoy it. I have also caught up with all the photos I missed to post since the 9th of June. So they're all there now :-)

joy
A Pinay in England
Your Love Coach

Sakiwi said...

Thanks for visiting the Hamilton Daily Photo blog!
Out photos today do indeed have a similar theme - fire hydrants! I like the reflection.

Jim Klenke said...

I life is wonderful. Wonder why three opening?

Virginia said...

Learned somthing new today! nice reflection too.

Neva said...

HI Lynette ! I am back from vacation and have so many photos to look through...thanks for best wishes....we had a GREAT time....family wedding, Niagara Falls, Montreal...border crossings...ok that wasn't so much fun but really.......what did I expect??? Thanks for sharing the definition of your photo! I found it to be very helpful.!