Sunday, November 18, 2007

Portland's Best Meatballs

111807_3dd_mballs2

So you know it from the get-go, my older son Lamont makes these meatballs on Sundays--he's sous chef at 3 Doors Down. I took this photo recently before happily digging in--I couldn't eat but one, so I ate the other one for lunch at work. You can read their provenance here, at my ABC Wednesday K is for Kitchen post.

Here's what Portland Monthly had to say about the meatballs in their August, 2007, Best Of issue: Spaghetti and meatballs should be much better than they are in this town. Frankly, we'd given up on the dish. But one recent evening, the bucatini and meatballs served at 3 Doors Down finally changed our minds. Of course, we should tell you that there are only two meatballs in the dish. But their quantity or size hardly matters--although, if you must know, each is slightly bigger than a golf ball. What really matters is that they're made from veal, pork and beef--the right way--and perfectly seasoned. And they're rich enough that you'll likely have to take at least one home as leftovers. The frequency with which these meatballs are served here (only on Sundays), however--now that's another, somewhat graver matter entirely.

P. S. Lamont put the ricotta salata on top for me because I am lactose intolerant. The usual cheese topping is a combintation of Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

19 comments:

Dick said...

Hmmmmm.......I think I like that.

dot said...

LOoks really good and is one of my favorite dishes!

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

Great photo, and it brings to mind this fun tune from childhood....

On top of Spaghetti, all covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table, and onto the floor,
And then my poor meatball rolled out of the door.

It rolled down the garden, and under a bush,
And then my poor meatball was nothing but mush!

The mush was as tasty, as tasty could be,
And then the next summer it grew into a tree.

The tree was all covered, all covered with moss,
And on it grew meatballs, all covered with sauce.

So if you have spaghetti, all covered with cheese,
Hold onto your meatball, 'cause someone might sneeze.

lv2scpbk said...

That looks great. I may have to have spagetti for dinner tonight.

I posted a photo of deer today, at least my version. The only one's I could get. And, some snow on my personal blog.

smilnsigh said...

Oh sigh, making me hungry!!!!!!!!

Mari-Nanci

NorthBayPhoto said...

Great shot and info. I think I know what I'm going to have for lunch now.

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

Beautifully presented. :)

I wish I could taste that lovely dish.

Annie said...

Did you teach him how to cook?

AVCr8teur said...

This looks absolutely yummy. Congratulations on the rave reviews at your son's restaurant. My brother-in-law makes spaghetti & meatball too, but it looks more like soup. I'm nice so I don't say anything.

Lynette said...

Y'all, I forgot to put this about the cheese when I posted--I've since added it and thought I ought to put it here, too:

Lamont put the ricotta salata on top for me because I am lactose intolerant. The usual cheese topping is a combintation of Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Clueless in Boston said...

My favorite too. I love good meatballs and they are so hard to find in restaurants, and they shouldn't be. Good chefs should be able to make the simple fare extraordinary and when they can't they hide the fact with making extraordinary dishes ordinary.

Coy Hill said...

It sure looks delicious!

I read with interest the comments on the Flexcar sign. Being as I’m a rural resident I had no idea what the sign meant but I was aware of car sharing programs as I am an avid listener to NPR radio. Out here in rural Pa a car is an absolute necessity. Not only do we need to maintain a car but also a spare and preferably that should be a 4X4 if you want to be sure of getting to work during bad weather.

Thanks for visiting Country Captures and dropping a comment. You’re welcome back any time.

Salty

Jim Klenke said...

Oh my goodness, its dinner time here and I am so hungry. That looks great!

Sharon said...

A son that can cook!! :) My oldest is a cook at Sonic...makes great onion rings and chicken wraps. Not quite in the league of a sous chef, though. ;)

Kerri Farley said...

Yum Yum! I want to send someone in my family to chef school :)

Andrea said...

Well, Wendy said it all.....what more is there to say? I liked her song and sang along as I read her comment.

Jilly said...

Okay, you've made up my mind for me. It's pasta for dinner tonight! Great pic. Mouthwatering and I don't even eat meat.

Ming the Merciless said...

Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!!!

This makes my tuna sandwich lunch less appealing.

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic! drools...