Thursday, November 1, 2007

November Theme: The Color Blue -- Here's Flat Stanley, come to visit Portland, Oregon

fc_jb2_close

Here's a close up photo of Flat Stanley. Christopher, a first grader in Mrs. Adams' Achievers at Steen's Creek Elementary in Florence, Mississippi, sent him to Portland, with a note dated Sept. 14, 2007:

Dear "Miss" Edna, Lynette and Duncan,

In school we read a book about a boy who got flattened by a bulletin board. His name is Stanley, now it is Flat Stanley. He wanted to go on a trip, so his family folded him up and mailed him to California.

I am mailing my Flat Stanley to you. Please take him somewhere and write me back telling me about his adventures. If you have pictures, postcards, or brochures, please send them back with him. I will share his adventures with my classmates and this will help my classmates and I learn more about other places in the world.

Thank you for helping me with this project. I wish I could fold myself up and visit you.

Love, Christopher

P. S. Please try to send Flat Stanley back to my school, Steen's Creek Elementary, by March 1.

Since Flat Stanley arrived in Portland, he has been here, there, and everywhere, sometimes with just me--Lynette. Sometimes "Miss Edna" and Duncan go, too. My plan is for you to get to tour Portland and its surroundings along with Flat Stanley and us, through this blog and my other blog, Mama and Me from PDX.

Before we could start on the tour, I decided that Flat Stanley needed a bit of help to remain upright. And I had the perfect solution, packed away somewhere in the closet. Miracle of miracles, I went to the exact box and found the blue scooter you will see along with Stanley in each photo.

Let's get started, with Stop #1 on our tour.

From across the street this blue statue of a man standing in a big, lighted window caught my eye. I pointed it out to Flat Stanley who said, "Cool." So the two of us crossed the street to the Mark Woolley Gallery at 817 SW 2nd Avenue.

Cool was right! Not only was the statue blue, but it was James Brown! The mosaic ceramic statue, by Anthony Tovell, was at the gallery as part of the then current show: BE BLUE (SKY). The gallery's Web site says "Be Blue (Sky) is a multimedia group show intending to explore and celebrate the color BLUE. Not as in “BLUE” (depressed) but as in “BLUE SKY” (i.e. “He’s so ‘blue sky’: open, vibrant, true, contagiously enthusiastic)." That's cool, too.

110107_window_gallery

Here's a photo of Flat Stanley standing in the window with "James Brown as Blue Buddha"--that's the name the artist gave the statue.

110107_enhanced_blue_statue

To get everyone off on the good foot, I've introduced Flat Stanley in the same way over at Mama and Me from PDX. After this, though, things might/could/may be different at each blog. I'll let you know so that you won't miss a single bit of thing Flat Stanley sees or learns about while he's in Portland.

By the way, the answer to "What can you find in both photos that you would not expect to find in photos taken six weeks apart?" from yesterday's post is the red car. Only if you've been to Portland (or any other spot on earth where finding a parking space is one of the great joys of your life) will you understand how crazy it is to see what appears to be the same exact car parked in the same exact space at close to the same exact time of day--six weeks apart! Congratulations to eagle-eye Kerri, from Blacksburg, Virginia, USA. And thanks to all who looked and thought and guessed.

There are 121 blogs taking part in today's theme. Check them out at
Boston (MA), USA - Cleveland (OH), USA - Philadelphia (PA), USA - Arlington (VA), USA - Cape Town, South Africa - Portland (OR), USA - Sequim (WA), USA - Selma (AL), USA - Arradon, France - Petaling Jaya (Selangor), Malaysia - Stockholm, Sweden - Singapore, Singapore - Wassenaar (ZH), Netherlands - Phoenix (AZ), USA - Seattle (WA), USA - Toulouse, France - The Hague, Netherlands - Moscow, Russia - Fort Lauderdale (FL), USA - Kyoto, Japan - Tokyo, Japan - Saint Paul (MN), USA - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Stayton (OR), USA - Maple Ridge (BC), Canada - Detroit (MI), USA - Crystal Lake (IL), USA - Port Angeles (WA), USA - Cottage Grove (MN), USA - Nelson, New Zealand - Bandung (West Java), Indonesia - Greenville (SC), USA - Hyde, UK - Radonvilliers, France - Albuquerque (NM), USA - Nashville (TN), USA - Manila, Philippines - Port Vila, Vanuatu - Saarbrücken, Germany - New Orleans (LA), USA - Bellefonte (PA), USA - Melbourne, Australia - Hobart (Tasmania), Australia - Forks (WA), USA - Wichita (Ks), USA - Barton (VT), USA - St. Louis (MO), USA - Joplin (MO), USA - Chandler (AZ), USA - Quincy (MA), USA - Setúbal, Portugal - Inverness (IL), USA - Christchurch, New Zealand - Toruń, Poland - North Bay (ON), Canada - Le Guilvinec, France - Chateaubriant, France - London, England - Minneapolis (MN), USA - Naples (FL), USA - Norwich (Norfolk), UK - Sydney, Australia - Austin (TX), USA - Mumbai, India - Boston (MA), USA - Santa Fe (NM), USA - Menton, France - Monte Carlo, Monaco - Paderborn, Germany - Montréal (QC), Canada - Jackson (MS), USA - Stavanger, Norway - Orlando (FL), USA - Grenoble, France - Cheltenham, UK - Forks (WA), USA - Mexico City, Mexico - West Sacramento (CA), USA - Silver Spring (MD), USA - Weston (FL), USA - London, UK - Jefferson City (MO), USA - Ocean Township (NJ), USA - Belgrade, Serbia - Paris, France - Shanghai, China - Montego Bay, Jamaica - Montpellier, France - Saint Louis (MO), USA - Wailea (HI), USA - Rabaul, Papua New Guinea - Auckland, New Zealand - Evry, France - New York City (NY), USA - Nottingham, UK - Las Vegas (NV), USA - Oslo, Norway - Minneapolis (MN), USA - American Fork (UT), USA - Cypress (TX), USA - Haninge, Sweden - Trujillo, Peru - Trujillo, Peru - Melbourne (VIC), Australia - Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation - Durban, South Africa - Brussels, Belgium - Anderson (SC), USA - Budapest, Hungary - Wellington, New Zealand - Prague, Czech Republic - Saigon, Vietnam - Ystad, Sweden - Miami (FL), USA - Seoul, South Korea - Hong Kong, China - Melbourne, Australia - Baziège, France - Greensboro (NC), USA - Sharon (CT), USA - Kajang (Selangor), Malaysia

29 comments:

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

Haven't seen Flat Stanley in a while. Our school did that a couple of years ago.

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

That scooter is perfect for Flat Stanley! This is going to be LOTS of fun, what a great idea! BTW, that's a unique looking James Brown.

Great theme day post! :)

Neva said...

I just heard about Flat Stanley from my girlfriend whose son is doing it now! Cute post...and blue too!!!

Kim said...

Happy theme day with Flat Stanley. Looks like he will have lots to write home about his travels.
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Gregous said...

wow, perfect for theme day I would say. Nice discovery.

pusa said...

very nice story about Flat Stanley, first time i heard rather read about him... though i got scared by your blue buddah! =)

=^..^=
I Heart Manila

Olivier said...

tout est bleu, même le nom de la vitrine "Be Blue" très bon, bravo pour ton choix

Everything is blue, even the name of the window "Be Blue" very good, congratulations on your choice

dot said...

This is a really cute post! I love the James Brown statue..you know he's from Georgia!

Anonymous said...

That is sooo sweet! I enjoyed your photos.

joy
Norwich Daily Photo

Andrea said...

Cute.

Stefan Jansson said...

Great to see him again. Saw him at flickr a couple of years ago and participated, that was fun.

Gerald (SK14) said...

I'm sure Flat Stanley is going to enjoy his adventures in Portland.

Jilly said...

What a great story. Photo ditto.

maria elisa said...

:)

NorthBayPhoto said...

Great photo of Stanley and blue shots for theme day.

Thanks for visiting my NorthBayPhoto blog.

Kerri Farley said...

I have never heard of Flat Stanley before... but this is going to be LOTS of fun! I can't wait to learn about his travels! And yippee I was right with my guess on the red car.

James Brown looks FAB!

WendyB said...

This is adorable. He looks like he's having a good time ;-)

Unknown said...

Great idea, it's good to see Stanley again! My daughter did this for her 1st grade class, but instead of Stanley they sent out flat self-portraits. We have photos of her "flat-self" from Moscow, New Zealand and many other places around the world. Thanks for an interesting post!

Port Angeles Daily Photo

AVCr8teur said...

What a fun story! I want to hear more about Flat Stanley and his travels.

Lothiane said...

I've never heard of Flat Stanley, but that's a great idea. I like your photos and the story! :D

Barbara said...

Three cheers for the red, white and BLUE from Barbara in West Sacramento.

Anonymous said...

Flat Stanley ... I have not seen Flat Stanley in a long time!

• Eliane • said...

Dear Flat Stanley,

I hope you are enjoying your trip to Portand and I wish you could tell us about all the cities you've visted so far. I can tell you that you are in very good hands with Lynette. I have the feeling she will let you discover some very sweet areas of Portland.

Meanwhile, people from around the globe are, like me, delighted to meet you and can't wait to discover your whereabouts.

Enjoy your time in Portland and greetings from New York City,
Eliane

NB: very nice Vespa you have there! I am a bit jealous, I must admit. ;)

Kate said...

Now I'm going to have to find the story about Flat Stanley for my grandkids (and me!) Love the James Brown statue!!

Unknown said...

how interesting.

the blue vespa looks good!

happy theme day!

R&R said...

Good for Flat Stanley! I published a pic on Oct 25 from his visit here, but it didn't make it into his report!

Ming the Merciless said...

My old college buddy's niece sent me a 'Flat Henry' a couple years ago. I took a photo of it at Time Square and sent the photo to her.

She won the price for the Flat Henry that traveled the furthers from home.

What a great way to learn/teach Geography and Math -- she had to calculate the miles Flat Henry traveled.

Ming the Merciless said...

Opps! It's flat Stanley, not Henry. *blush*

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

How fun! :-D