Thursday, July 21, 2011

Seen from the train pulled by the steam engine SP 4449

D50 photos:

DSC_0036p
That big, beautiful steam engine SP 4449, seen from my dome car seat on July 3 as it pulls us back westward. Scroll down to read all about our "making a Y."

DSC_0569
A quick glimpse between two hurtling cars on the adjacent track, out in the Columbia River Gorge on July 3. I took these photos from the open baggage car doorway.

DSC_0571p
The foreground is in Washington. The tree-covered mountains are in Oregon.

DSC_0572p-p
Another beautiful spot.

DSC_0580p
Smoke from the engine waited beneath the overpass, just for me to catch it in this photograph.


DSC_0597p
Mt. Hood, still lots of snow there. I took these photos from inside the dome car.

DSC_0608
I think the train was pretty close to Wishram, Washington, when I took this one. Interesting shapes, so sharp looking.

DSC_0004
This is after lunch, as the train backed westward until it was able to back south onto a bridge, the pull forward and go forward, westward towards Vancouver, Washington, and then on to Union Station at Portland.

DSC_0006
Doggone taggers!

DSC_0007
What sort of rock is this? How did those smooth, curved indentations get there? All of the sharp pieces? Mysterious.

DSC_0014p
There's the southernmost section of the bridge with a barge passing underneath.

DSC_0019
Here you see the tracks that go east and west. We're back south, out over the Columbia River. There is the distance is the part of the bridge that we will use to make our way back westward. My friend Milton, who is now retired from the CN Railroad, told me after I described our maneuver, "You made a Y, Lynette."

DSC_0026p
See the orange and red rail car with the doors? There are slats across the openings--that's the baggage car where I stood part of the ride out to Wishram. To rest of the orange and red is the SP 4449 itself, working at a gentle pace to back us onto the bridge. It's actually facing east and moving west. I am so glad that we were on the train for this part of the excursion. Saturday's outing had the passengers waiting at the Wishram station for this to take place.

DSC_0034
Our path home begins here.

DSC_0038
The Columbia River, seen as we backed on the bridge.

DSC_0041
One of the things folks like to do out in the Columbia River Gorge.

DSC_0056
There you see the track that the train used to back onto the bridge.

DSC_0058
Here's the SP 4449 pulling us towards Portland. I think the two orange and red cars behind the engine are the tenders. I'm not sure why there's that smoky look in front of the engine. It was very dry and windy out there--perhaps it is dust.

DSC_0064
How many years ago did that landslide happen? Interstate 84 is at the bottom alongside the river.

DSC_0069
This bridge is at The Dalles, Oregon.

DSC_0097
How did this shape happen, this roof-like shape? Surely it's not man-made. Does anyone know anything about it? Please comment if you do, or if you've seen something like it elsewhere. Thanks!

DSC_0107
The Bridge of the Gods at Cascade Locks, Oregon. Last August I actually drove a Zipcar over it!

6 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

beautiful scenery. the landslide picture is neat. I wonder if you can notice it if you were up close.

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Nice series of scenic shots.

Lowell said...

What a trip through incredibly gorgeous country. I'm jealous. Guess I'll have to put that ride on my "Bucket List"!

Clytie said...

I've driven (both sides of the river) up and down the Gorge many times, but it's a whole new perspective from a train! I am so envious!!!

The unique rock formation (triangle) was probably created back when an ice-dammed lake in Missoula burst and sent a huge wall of water down the Gorge and into the Willamette Valley at the end of the ice age. I actually learned about it when we visited the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Museum in Stevenson (WA). If you ever get the chance to visit there, you will LOVE it!!!

Thank you so much for this amazing set of photos!!! I have enjoyed taking the trip through your eyes!

P.S. Your heart is featured on today's Guest Heart Thursday!

clytie-randomhearts.blogspot.com

Randy said...

Wow, thanks for the tour of the area. I would have loved to take that trip.

Rowen said...

I see you’ve had some Gorge and some rail too. My idea of a good time. Very beautiful photos. Now I wanna go.