Sunday, May 8, 2011

My two sons, why I am a proud, happy mama.

On Saturday mornings, each son boulders at the newer location of The Circuit Bouldering Gym, 410 NE 17th Avenue. I walked over yesterday and took photos so that I could share them with y'all on Mother's Day. I won't pretend to understand the thought process and decision making that goes along with the strength, flexibility, and determination necessary for bouldering. I shall instead appreciate it.

I took lots of photos of both of them. Leland, my younger son, climbed first.
DSC_0498p
Looking up.

DSC_0501p
Heading up the wall.

DSC_0502p
Changing direction.

DSC_0503p
Hanging. Thinking.

DSC_0504p
This way?

DSC_0505p_cropped
Back to hanging.

DSC_0508p
Left it is.

DSC_0509p
Steady.

DSC_0510p
And ...

DSC_0511p
...up!

DSC_0512p_cropped
He's a good-lookin', strong man. I am so proud.

DSC_0513p
What is he looking for so intently?

DSC_0514p
Where will this motion take him?

DSC_0515p
Now we know. And he's already getting ready for his next move.

DSC_0516p
Concentration.

DSC_0517p
Looking to make sure his toe is placed correctly. He is climbing the problem/route with the blue tabs.

DSC_0518p
Reaching.

DSC_0519p
Precarious?

DSC_0520p_cropped
Left hand heading for the top. I expected him to crawl on up and go down some stairs that I couldn't see. Little did I know that this particular portion has no such way down.

DSC_0521p
You touch the top, of course, and begin to think about getting down.

DSC_0522p
Swiveling to place his right foot on the left side of his body. Gosh.

DSC_0523p
There's the hold for his foot! It's not on the blue tab, but I suppose it doesn't matter on the way down.

DSC_0524p
Inching his way down.

DSC_0525p_cropped
What a stretch!

DSC_0526p
Where is his foot going so quickly?

DSC_0527
Getting closer.

DSC_0528p_cropped
Looks sort of like ballet on the wall to me. I doubt Leland would agree with my opinion.

DSC_0529p
A split-second change of position.

DSC_0530p
Let me assure you, he is not about to jump the rest of the way.

DSC_0531p
I wonder if looking down so much makes his neck hurt. I'll have to remember to ask him.

DSC_0532p
The last step?

DSC_0533p
Yes. He's down. Others are talking and pointing. Leland looks back up the wall where he's just climbed. Cool.

DSC_0534p
Now for Lamont, my older son. He started to the right of where Leland had climbed.

DSC_0535p
He's climbing the green tab route.

DSC_0536p
Heading up the wall.

DSC_0537p
Grabbing hold.

DSC_0538p
Stretching for the next foot hold.

DSC_0539p
Still stretching.

DSC_0540p_cropped
There it is, the foot hold he wanted to reach!

DSC_0541p_cropped
Where will he go next?

DSC_0542p
Ah. There he goes.

DSC_0543p
About this moment, I remember thinking, "I gave birth to a couple of Spider Men!"

DSC_0544p
Lamont reaches for the top with his right hand and moves his left foot off the hold.

DSC_0545p_cropped
He's a good lookin' strong man. I am so proud.

DSC_0546p
Heading down now?

DSC_0547p
Yep, heading down the wall.

DSC_0548p
He's a long-legged guy, this older son of mine. Long period. Takes after my Daddy's Daddy.

DSC_0549p
Not there yet.

DSC_0550p
He's made a decision on where to put his left foot.

DSC_0551p_cropped
He'snot holding on with his right knee, just his hands and feet!

DSC_0552p
Moving according to plan.

DSC_0553p
Still working on getting down the wall.

DSC_0554p_cropped
See what I mean about Spider Man?

DSC_0555p
Another deceptively small looking step.

DSC_0557p
He's close now.

DSC_0558p
And...

DSC_0559p
...he's down!

7 comments:

Marcy Casterline O'Rourke said...

Two very cool Spider Men! Good work, Mom! Happy Mother's Day! And thanks for sharing bouldering. Never heard of it before.

Jim Klenke said...

Great shots, no way I could do something like that. My fingers hurt just looking at the pictures.

Lowell said...

Lots of strength and as you said, determination, involved here. Making it all the way must be exhilarating...

And a very Happy Mother's Day to you!

Jack said...

Two very strong and agile young men, Lynette. Hope you enjoyed Mother's Day.

Regina K said...

Happy Mother's Day. Looks like you have strong flexable sons!

Randy said...

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's day. Great series of photos.

brian stout said...

nice series! looks a little tough, but fun i'm sure!