Tuesday, May 3, 2011

In Hosford-Abernethy, My Second Bungalow. Architectural Heritage Center Kitchen Revival Tour XIII, April 16, 2011

DSC_0694p
I took this photo from the driver's window of my Zipcar, after I had been inside enjoying another fine kitchen.

From the descriptive booklet: Taking a most unusual approach to their project, the owners chose to restore their kitchen back to period. Their goal was not a "period inspired" look, but to actually recreate how the kitchen could have appeared when the home was built in 1909. Before the 1920's built-in kitchen cabinetry was rare. Instead, kitchen furniture, such as Hoosiers, baker's tables, hutches, and large cast iron sinks were often used. Plumbing was frequently left exposed--sometimes because the plumbing was brought into an existing home--but also to keep air circulating around the pipes. In the early 20th century, it was thought that condensation on pipes might allow germs to grown. The air circulation also kept the pipes from freezing.

DSC_0687

DSC_0688

DSC_0686

The owners were lucky that previous remodels hadn't completely altered the original layout of the kitchen and somehow the large china cabinet had survived. All the woodwork is original, with the exception of the wainscoting along the sink wall. The wall mounted sink is period appropriate, as are the Hoosier and the enamel-topped cabinet. The new Marmoleum plant flooring is stylistically similar to design trends from 1909. The wall-mounted shelves are new, but are constructed of local fir and mail order brackets, just like in the old days.

A couple more photos of the bungalow.
DSC_0690

DSC_0692

Come back tomorrow for my favorite house on the tour!

6 comments:

Jack said...

Hmmm. Yes, authentic, but I think we have made some progress since then. I wonder where they put their 50 inch flatscreen.

Jim Klenke said...

I like the umbrellas and the porch. Is that a stereo cabinet below the umbrellas?

I fell asleep last night at the start of the 4th quarter.

Rowen said...

Fun series. Really neat stuff.

Halcyon said...

This bungalow is much bigger than most of the bungalows you see here in Toronto. I like that siding look on the outside.

Lowell said...

I like...this is so reminiscent of my grandmother's farm home in northern Minnesota although her kitchen was even more primitive with a large wood cook stove.

Heck, some of these pieces were in place when I was growing up!

Very nice photos!

Lois said...

It is reminding me of my grandmother's kitchen so much! I also like what they did with the umbrellas.