Monday, February 14, 2011

Monumental Mt. Hood, in the distance ...

DSC_0007p760
... beyond the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office boat, Liberty, anchored in the mighty Columbia River. I took this photo Saturday morning as I rode in a smaller MCSO boat towards Liberty, my station for the Polar Plunge. I had volunteered to take photos of that fund-raising event for Oregon Special Olympics. There on the right you can glimpse one of the Sheriff's dive team members and the floating border of the plunge area, created by those blue and white floats that have a rope going from one to the other.

Rain had been predicted but didn't show. A brisk wind did, however. I cannot imagine how those waiting to plunge and those wet with the 39 degree water felt in that wind. I thanked my lucky stars that the Liberty's bow pointed into the wind as I stood on the back to the right of that door, snapping one photo after another.

About the mountain, if you go by I-84, it is 76.3 miles from where I rode as I took this photo. Monumental indeed.

Happy Valentine's Day!

6 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

Nice shot, I bet the plunge was fun to shoot. Happy Valentines Day.

Rowen said...

Great one! Looks like a fun day.

Lois said...

I am freezing just reading about that plunge! It's a lovely picture. Happy Valentine's Day!

Halcyon said...

Beautiful view!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Well, I guess if you have to jump into freezing water it helps to have a beautiful view.

Jack said...

Nice shot, Lynette. The boat gives some action and interest to the photo of the distant mountain.

Plunging into cold water when the air is also cold? Nahh! Not for me. Hope you enjoyed it.