Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Seen in the neighborhood, rotating sign #1

Click here for a trip to City Daily Photo, transporting you around the world every day.

DSC_0039

Franz! Too bad I cannot post how good it smells when the breads are baking!

DSC_0031

United States Bakery, better known as Franz Family Bakeries, is located in Northeast Portland within walking distance of my apartment. Franz Bakery itself was founded in 1906.

DSC_0032

In collaboration with E. E. Franz of Franz Bakery, W.P. Yaw of the former Yaw's Top Notch Restaurant invented the 5-inch (130 mm) diameter hamburger bun in the late 1920's. Though others are credited with creating a bread product to use for the first hamburgers known to the world, Franz is credited for inventing the hamburger bun in its current worldwide accepted form.

DSC_0033

Franz! Like I said, too bad I cannot post how good it smells when the breads are baking. Sometimes when I walk part of the way to work, I get experience that pleasing aroma.

5 comments:

Andy said...

Very interesting sign. Seeing a loaf of bread this way is a first for me. PS: The smell of fresh bread... yummy!

Bill said...

I used to work for 7up which was and maybe still is right down the street from Franz. The smell was awesome!! Can't go wrong with being close to a bread making business.

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

I bet it does smell good. I the resting history.

Randy said...

We would need some big jars of PB & Jelly.

Jim Klenke said...

There was a bread factory in Dallas, every time you would drive past you would smell it and smile. I think they were bought out and closed. I love the bread sign and who knew the hamburger bun was from Portland.