Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mother's Day Mini-Vacation, No.16 - I think I can, I think I can . . . walk the Trail of the Molten Land!

Click here for a trip to City Daily Photo, transporting you around the world every day.

Screen shot MAP trail 2013-05-25 at 1.15.11 PM

After we left the Lava Butte Cinder Cone, we drove back to the parking lot near the visitor center. The guys assured me that I could walk the Trail of the Molten Land just fine. Am I ever happy to have done that! Come back tomorrow for lots of photos that I hope you will enjoy. And some informative signs.
  DSC_0242_PM_chipmunk

First, though, I couldn't believe my luck when Leland pointed out this little critter on the stump. It he/she a chipmunk?

Here's what I found on the Internet about the trail: Trail of the Molten Land

  • This is a great little hike if volcanoes are something that interests you. From Lava Lands Visitor Center in the Newberry National Volcanic Monument, this trail meanders out across the basalt lava flow for just a little over a mile to its source at the base of Lava Butte.
  • One third of the trail is a newly reconstructed section that is Universally Accessible, and the rangers did a super job on the recent trail construction. Older sections of the trail have grades and surfaces that may be challenging without assistance.
  • There are also several new full color interpretive signs that tell the story of the eruption of Lava Butte and the life that now makes the lava their home. 

3 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

I think it maybe Alvin getting into trouble.

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

He's a cute fellow. I look forward to your hiking shots.

Randy said...

Looks like quite the hike. I was up on our mountain yesterday and saw a family of chipmunks that looked just like this.