Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Mini-Vacation, No. 1

Click here for a trip to City Daily Photo, transporting you around the world every day.

DSC_0003

Joan of Arc bid us a safe journey and great memories for our trip from Portland to Bend. I felt like her golden form, reflecting the sunshine and blue skies in Portland meant we were in for a good time. I took this photo at 1:36 p.m. on May 10, as we headed for I-84 east and the start of our drive, with Leland at the wheel of the Zipcar Ford Escape, named Engine, a dark red vehicle; Lamont sat behind me because he had more leg room there. By the way, when we rounded this traffic circle or roundabout in Laurelhurst, little did I know that this method of intersection would play a large role in our being out and about all weekend.

Here's what I found out about the golden statue on the Internet:

The Joan of Arc statue was added to Coe Circle in 1925. It was one of four statues given by Henry Waldo Coe to the city of Portland. It was made from the original molds of Emmanuel Frémiet's statue at the Place des Pyramides, which Coe saw on a visit to France. Portland's Arc statue arrived from France in 1924 and was dedicated on Memorial Day, May 30, 1925, honoring the Doughboys of World War I.

3 comments:

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Boy that sure is shiny. I wonder if they ave to keep it polished.

Jack said...

It is a great statue. Impressive that a former soldier donated this and three others to commemorate the recently ended war.

Randy said...

Nice looking stature. I hope you enjoyed your mini-trip.