Wednesday, October 1, 2014

CDP Monthly Theme Day - Movement. My photo: Salmon Street Springs Fountain, at night, full wedding cake



Click here for the Monthly Theme Day Gallery at City Daily Photo.

DSC_0134_14

Here's the fountain at night in a photo that I took on July 2, 2008. I cannot tell for sure if there are lights in the bollards here, but I do remember that Mama and I were in the Buick we used to own. Stopped at the traffic signal, no one behind me, I grabbed my camera and took a few photos. This one shows folks enjoying being together, taking photos, walking along the Willamette River. My work building is the one with the lights on several floors, in the distance directly behind the top of the cycle known as the wedding cake. That's the Hawthorne Bridge you can see in the background, too.

From the City of Portland Web site:
Salmon Street Springs, Location: Waterfront Park, Naito Parkway at SW Salmon, Hours: 6:00 AM-10:00 PM during spring/summer/fall

Robert Perron Landscape Architects and Planners designed the fountain which was dedicated in 1988. A computer regulates the changing patterns of the water display. At full capacity, the fountain recycles 4,924 gallons of water per minute through as many as 137 jets at once. There are 185 jets. The three cycles of the fountain are called misters, bollards, and wedding cake.

17 comments:

Lois said...

Beautiful picture Lynette! You should link it to the City Daily Photo Theme Day page since the theme this month is "Movement".

Tamera said...

This is a great capture! It's not easy to get a good exposure at night (especially with film), so good job! One of these days I will make it to Portland. It looks like such a fun town.

Sharon said...

What a beautiful fountain! I love the night shot.

William Kendall said...

Oh, that's lovely!

RedPat said...

That's a fabulous fountain! Perfect for the theme.

Randy said...

What a wonderful shot. I love the way the fountain is lit.

Kay said...

That's a beautiful fountain and your shot takes in a lovely scene around it, too. Very nice!

Carraol said...

Great night shot, perfect for this theme!

Unknown said...

I too love the fountain
a busy photo :)

Chrissy Brand said...

A fine square

Karl said...

Beautiful and lovely night shot!

Mo said...

The road signs appear to be floating in the air, very surreal.

Birdman said...

There are a lot bridges in Portland!

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

I think that this is beautifully captured with the darkness of night providing a backdrop to the motion of the fountain and and human activity.

Tania said...

Lovely fontain!
Jepp, looks just like a wedding cake

Jim said...

Good shot.

Halcyon said...

Great idea for the theme day. I love night shots like this!