Friday, January 3, 2014

Winter Photo Walk with Leland, Dec. 15, 2013 - Portland's International Rose Test Garden, No. 3



I wish I could remember for sure, but it seems to me that when I've been to the Rose Garden in the summer, the fountain has been on. When you see some of the photos I'll share with you soon that I took at the Portland Japanese Garden, our second stop of this photo walk, you won't have a bit of trouble understanding why the fountain is water free on this particular December day. I took this photo while sitting on a bench that I had never noticed before.

Here's some information that I found online about the sculpture: Set in a sunken section on the upper level of the garden, the Frank Beach Memorial Fountain was dedicated in June 1975. The stainless steel sculpture, titled Water Sculpture, was designed and built by Oregon artist Lee Kelly. The fountain was a gift from the Beach family to honor their father, Frank Edwin Beach (1853-1934), the man who is said to have christened Portland the 'City of Roses' and who first proposed the annual Rose Festival.

1 comment:

Randy said...

Interesting piece.