Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A shared mass transit stop on SE MLK

Click here for a trip to City Daily Photo, transporting you around the world every day.

DSC_0260_crp_rz


January 26 after the lecture at the Architectural Heritage Center, I decided to ride the Portland Streetcar down to the Oregon Rail Heritage Center to visit the steam locomotives. As you can see from this photo, the streetcar and the TriMet bus share this stop. That's the Morrison Bridge westbound approach you see there above the streetcar.



DSC_0259_crp_rz

I waited while this lady boarded the bus. I think it's fantastic how that little ramp automatically folds out of the bus floor once the driver activates it. Once the bus drove off, the streetcar moved into place beside the yellow strip of ADA truncated domes which serve as a detectable safety zone, a system of textured ground surface indicators which assist blind and vision impaired pedestrians. Personally, I find them helpful, too, especially when it's been raining. I feel like they're less slick than a wet sidewalk. Anyway, the doors on the streetcar slid open and I walked on, took a seat and looked out the huge windows as we continued southward are MLK, going underneath the eastbound exit ramp of the Morrison Bridge. I love mass transit!

3 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

I love riding the trains in Dallas. I only wish that the trains and buses came all the way out here. Maybe one day..

Birdman said...

I might have to visit those trains the next time I'm in the 'other' P-town.

Randy said...

That is some Pink hair in that 2nd shot.