Thursday, February 5, 2009

I have my first training as a tour guide for the Portland Center for the Performing Arts on Saturday morning

These chandeliers hang in the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, the building where I attended "Mark Twain Tonight," Hal Holbrook's one-man show extraordinaire. I had my camera that evening, but I didn't get it out of my bag inside the hall. I figured I might not even be allowed to have it with me, so I didn't even ask if I could take photos in the lobby. Yep, I was chicken, in a way. To tell you the truth, I didn't want anything to mess up my good mood and what I expected to be a grand evening. It turned out even better than I figured it would--my seat was on the third row!

If you're wondering how I managed to get this photo, please continue to read.
DSC_0204

Here's the west entrance on Park Avenue as I saw it on my way to see Hal Holbrook.
DSC_0064

Seeing those chandeliers and other beautiful accoutrement as I walked around inside, waiting to the doors to open to the theater seating, I realized I ought to learn more about the building. Naturally, when I got home I used good ol' Google. That's how I discovered a volunteer orientation on Jan. 24, which I attended. At that time I decided to volunteer as an usher and as a tour guide. Last Saturday I attended my first usher training and soon I will usher at a children's show, "Click, Clack, Moo." The final usher training is later in February.

After the volunteer orientation, I went on the noon tour. That's when I could get out my camera and take photos! Hooray! More photos to come.

Here's a bit about the building, from the PCPA's Web site:

Step back in time

The beautifully restored Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, opened in 1984, was originally the Portland Public Theatre, built in 1928.

The Italian Rococo Revival architecture was said to be the national showcase of Rapp & Rapp, renowned Chicago theatre architects. Visitors are greeted by a 65 foot high "Portland" sign above the Broadway Marquee, which contains approximately 6,000 theatrical lights.

The theatre features:

* Seating for 2,776.
* Orchesta pit for 15 and a choir loft.
* Dressing rooms for 90.
* Portable, flexible acoustical shell.
* Entrance access on both the Broadway and Park Blocks.

The Arlene Schnitzer Hall is home to the Oregon Symphony, White Bird Dance Company, Portland Arts & Lectures, and many more local performing arts groups.

The Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall is located at 1037 SW Broadway, Portland Oregon 97205.

Here's a photo I took of the Portland sign when I went to Music on Main last summer. It's on SW Broadway. Before too long I hope to get a night photo when those 6,000 lights blaze.
DSC_0141

4 comments:

Debbie Courson Smith said...

Well, that's going to be fun. Good for you, you'll meet a lot of interesting people, too.

Jim Klenke said...

3rd row, pretty good!

I bet being an usher, tour guide will be fun. I bet there are ghosts in there, say hi for me.

gogouci said...

Congratulations on your neat appointment. I'll have to come visit some day.

Meead said...

I was there on Monday night ;)