Saturday, August 16, 2008

Thursday, 102, Friday 100, Saturday predicted 100--in Portland.

081608_empty_water_tower
Once we left REI Thursda, I got my camera out again, just in case something caught my eye. It didn't take long, either. Here's the framework that obviously used to hold a different water tower. Right after I snapped this photo, I looked up at Lamont and said, "That looks like an alien spaceship that grew legs." He laughed, dutiful son that he is!

Those temps in the headline come from the Portland airport, wherever it's read out there on the Columbia River, northeast of our apartment. Around the metro area, and out into the nearby countryside, some places reported 100, 101, 102, and 104 degrees today! After work I was talking to my bud Eve, down in Mississippi, on the phone, telling her how we were fine once we got situated in our chairs in front of fans. "You don't have AC?" she yelped. "No, we've never had it up here," I replied. "We could buy one of those little window units, but we'd probably need three of them to make a difference." Then I went on to explain that we really didn't need any AC because it doesn't get this hot that often. In fact, starting Monday our predicted high temps range in the 70s. And just two weeks ago, our night temps were in the cool 50s--wonderful sleeping weather.

Let me tell you something that made Mama and me laugh Friday night. We're sitting at the table, in front of one fan that sits in the window and another fan across the living room, pointed right at us, eating some Breyers Lactose Free vanilla ice cream. In between spoonfuls, she looks at me, in all seriousness and says, "I think it's cooling off quicker tonight than it did last night." I look back at her and say, "Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that we're sitting in front of two fans on high, eating ice cream?" Then we laughed and laughed. Good memories are made of such moments.

6 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

100? Well I am glad we have had a weather break, but I didnt want it to go up to you guys. I like the old water tower stand. I wonder how longs its been up there? Ice cream does wonders in the summer time. This morning seems like fall here is only 70 at 9 am.

WendyB said...

You're getting some NY summer weather there, eh?

brian stout said...

welcome to the hot weather! and i've done the exact thing when eating ice cream =)

Louis la Vache said...

Uh, maybe the heat mad the water tank evaporate from the tower?

Mike G said...

Don't get an AC unit. You really don't need it. I love to visit Oregon and Seattle for the lovely mild climate. I live in Vegas and sometimes my work takes me outside for extended periods of time. Today it was 115 where I was working - you get used to it, but when I read about coastal cities I always have to chuckle at your "heat waves". On the other hand, I guess you're smarter than me for choosing a more reasonable environment to live in, so bravo on that call.

Chris said...

Very true about memories, Lynette. Very true. It's the little things that make the best memories.

BTW. . . . I liked the water tower yesterday, and I feel for the heat you're feeling. We've had a cold wave. . .highs in the high 80s. ;-)