Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sunday evening, corner of SW Broadway and SW Washington, waiting for the 15

DSC_0489p
After an excellent, exciting, wonderful SYTYCD live show, we rode the MAX from the Rose Garden into downtown. Leslie got off at the Big Pink--her significant other works on the 30th floor at the Portland City Grill; we enjoyed Happy Hour there before we rode the MAX to the show--and I continued on to Pioneer Courthouse Square where I got off and walked to this corner. I can't count the number of times that I've waited here for the last bus home, the 15, after work, after volunteering, after watching the lighting of Portland's Christmas tree on the day after Thanksgiving, after walking downtown streets looking for those special sights to photograph.

DSC_0491p
Looking north at the same intersection. Where I wait is beside Pazzo Ristorante which you can see there on the right corner of the photo. Just out of sight to the right and around the corner on SW Washington, I wait in front of two huge windows which are in the bar section of the restaurant. There's an awning and lots of light at that particular spot, a perfect place to wait for a bus in the evening. The irony of how often I wait here rests on the 11th floor of the white and brick building on the left side of the photo--the one with the well-lighted exterior stairwell. That's the Benson Hotel, the place where Mama and I stayed for our first visit to Portland in 2004, from June 30 through July 9. We never had to turn on the air conditioner, never had to shut the windows AND there were not any screens. No bugs, no mosquitoes, no humidity. I mean I knew I wanted to move to Portland when we got off the airplane and onto the MAX for the ride to the Benson, but the fact that we didn't have to turn on the AC, that we didn't have screens, that we never saw a bug--wow! Totally sold me and planted the seed of moving here firmly in Mama's mind.

6 comments:

Halcyon said...

I love night shots. This one is really nice. The city has a magic feel!

Lois said...

I always have trouble with night shots. These are just lovely!

brian stout said...

I love night shots too, they just seem to have a mysterious and magical quality to them!

Jack said...

Good shots. With the images and your words, we can see Portland through your eyes. Seems like you are where you are supposed to be.

Clytie said...

I'm sorry, but my brain got stuck on SYTYCD. You got to go? We wanted to so bad, but it just didn't work. I. am. sooooooo. jealous.!

But I really do love your nighttime city shots. The streets look typical Portland - wet and pretty ... but not many people out and about.

Jim Klenke said...

I like the city lights.