Monday, March 1, 2010

Vacation, Day 6, 10/26/2009, Part 2

On this particular Monday Mama and I planned to head for Puckett, to visit Aunt Baker and Uncle JL. After that good lunch and spending some time with those good friends, I stopped to take a few photos on the way south.

My absolute, all-time favorite independent bookstore in the whole, entire world is Lemuria Books upstairs in Banner Hall on I-55 North in Jackson. If you've been to Lemuria, you'll realize that I have not overdone the hyperbole.
DSC_0027
I vividly remember my first time inside those shelf-lined walls that you can see through the doors and windows. At first content to merely stand in awe of their numbers, I slowly toured each nook and cranny, thinking, "Oh, my. look at all of these books I could get my hands on!"

Here, in fact, is a close-up of the hand holding an open book, the massive sculpture above the upstairs main door.
DSC_0026
If you're looking for a specific book, be sure to contact Lemuria by phone or go click on the link I provided--at that link be sure to take a look at About and the FAQ for some great insight into the store, the staff, and the man behind it all, John. Back to your search for a particular book, the hey'll try really hard to find it for you and then will ship it to you, beautifully wrapped in brown paper. For me, it's a totally special way to get a desired book.

This is not a giant igloo. It's Jerry’s Catfish House on Highway 49 South near Florence, Mississippi. We didn't get to stop this time, but in the past we've enjoyed ourselves there.
DSC_0031_cropped

Also near Florence, the white fences of The Piney Woods School.
DSC_0033_cropped

We're getting close to Aunt Baker's and Uncle JL's!

1 comment:

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» would love to visit that bookstore.