Monday, September 10, 2007

Trinity’s Red Doors, Part I



After I took yesterday’s photo, I looked up to my right and saw a red door on the gray stone church. I couldn’t help wondering why a red door on a church? So before I posted this photo (look for another red door tomorrow), I checked out the Trinity Episcopal Cathedral’s Web site and other Google hits. In their October 2006 Cathedral Conversation, which appears to be a newsletter, I found this sentence, “Historically a church’s red doors signal a place of refuge and solace.” I’m thinking, how appropriate, and wondering if the two homeless people sleeping just out of sight in the photo know this about red doors on churches.

On the church’s Web site, there’s a photograph of three red doors, side-by-side. Can you guess what I’ll be looking for when I walk to 3rd and Couch this morning?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Historically a church’s red doors signal a place of refuge and solace.”

I never knew that. I wonder why red though. I always thought red was the most aggressive of colors.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Just beautiful red door!

Sean Claes said...

I guess as long as there's not a red light on... and a woman named Roxanne... right?

Beautiful photo. I didn't know about the red door reason.. I assumed it was a feng shui thing.

By the way.. thanks for posting on my Kyle, TX Daily Photo blog. Yes, that was a "dia de los muertos" skeleton-man in the background. I wish I could say the food was as good as the atmosphere. I guess for a restaurant it'll be a nice place to grab a beer.
:)

Steve Buser said...

Lynette, interesting that we don't see more red doors on churches. I like the door hinges, kind of like a menora on its side.


I had to explain in my blog why my posts last week were curt and canned.

--steve buser
New Orleans Daily Photo

Lynette said...

Thanks to Salian, Sonia, Sean, and Steve--a quartet of S's--for looking at the red door.

I'm going to put the photo on my other blog, Mama & Me from PDX, which is part of ORblogs.com to see what sort of comments/information I might be able to glean from Portlanders/Oregonians. I'll let y'all know if anything turns up.

jb said...

Very perceptive. Supposedly represents the blood of Christ (in the Catholic church at least) denoting that the space behind the door is sacred.
PM me your email address so I give you the rundown on Auckland

Lynette said...

JB, I don't know how to PM. Go ahead and e-mail me at olhanson@gmail.com. I'll delete this post after I hear from you; I think I know how to do that. Thanks!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful church door!

I have a friend who recently moved to Portland and she has been telling me about some of the churches there.

dot said...

Well, you learn something new everyday! I had a picture of a church with a red door on another blog. I didn't know it stood for anything.