Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 4, Waterfront Blues Festival, The Mysti Krewe of Nimbus

So, when I lucked out and found myself on the sidelines of the scheduled "Off Street Processional by The Mysti Krewe of Nimbus," I figured I was a shoe-in for some beads. See me to the right in this photo that I took when I paused the video that I had found on the krewe's Web site--I was shocked to see myself--with my camera in one hand, taking photos, and the other hand held out to gracefully accept strings of beads?
  IMG_1050

Let me tell you, that wide-brimmed straw hat thought I bought years and years ago in Vicksburg, Mississippi, and moved up here with me to Portland, Oregon, really came in handy at the festival! And my black fanny pack, veteran of my last trip-with-students-and-teachers-to-Europe-in-2000 bit the dust--the zipper coil separated from the zipper cloth. Rats. Now I have to figure out something else to take to Las Vegas on Saturday when I go for the first time ever!
  DSC_0154

I knew that I'd never catch that string of red beads flying by that man's brown fedora.
  DSC_0155

Someone must have caught them! Look how happy that lady is who tossed them!
  DSC_0168

Ah, here comes my chance!
  DSC_0169

Alas, I fell victim to the dreaded tease which I call "Here you go. Why don't I drape some beads over your out-stretched hand--psyche!"
  DSC_0176

There she goes, twirling those beads. I'll bet lots of folks caught 'em once she let 'em fly! Not to worry, though, 'cause I wore my own strings of beads on the 4th of July, red, silver (for white), and blue. 

Wondering about The Mysti Krewe of Nimbus. Here's a bit I found at their Web site:

The Mysti Krewe of Nimbus brings the traditional Louisiana Mardi Gras experience to Portland, Oregon. We give Louisiana expatriots an opportunity to celebrate Mardi Gras in a traditional manner, as well as to extend the tradition to people from here in the Northwest who have a Joie De Vivre and affinity toward Louisiana culture.

The source of the word Nimbus in Greek Mythology means a cloudy radiance said to surround a diety when on earth. We find this name particularly appropriate, since it also is a rain cloud — and we live in the rainy Northwest. We have even changed the traditional “Mystic” to “Mysti” to further reflect this rainy condition. Mardi Gras falls during the rainiest time of the year, but this gives us an opportunity to bring together family and friends and celebrate as if it were the middle of the summer. Laissez les bon temps roullez! Bienvenue!

About them at the Waterfront Blues Fest

July 4th 2013 Look for Mysti Krewe of Nimbus Mardi Gras “Processional” second line parade at the Safeway Waterfront Bluesfest July 4th. We’ll parade around 3:30 – 4pm. Bring your hanky, parasol, and joie de vivre! Watch for the Skull and Bones Gang, Transcendental Brass Band, and The Brass Roots Movement. We’ll have beads and, please, don’t show us *anything* to get them.

And for more about The Mysti Krewe of Nimbus, found on the Waterfront Blues Festival Web site: 

The Mysti Krewe of Nimbus is a Portland based social and pleasure club that brings the traditional Louisiana Mardi Gras experience to the Pacific Northwest. We extend the tradition of Mardi Gras to people here in the region who have a Joie De Vivre and affinity toward Louisiana culture. We also give Louisiana expatriates an opportunity to celebrate Mardi Gras in a traditional manner. Since forming in 2011, we have thrown three Mardi Gras Balls, won the best community float our second year at the 2013 Starlight Parade, held a foot parade along Mississippi Avenue last Mardi Gras day, and second-lined across the festival grounds the last two years at the Safeway Waterfront Blues Festival.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

1 comment:

Randy said...

Looks like fun. I love the shot of the woman with the birthday hats!