Saturday, August 13, 2011

Public Art

Downtown Portland, the corner of SW Morrison and SW 9th. I found this online: LITSWD by William Rihel. Motion activated installation consisting of 120 lengths of enamle painted paper. Inspired by the song and video of "Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles. The text appears beneath a nighttime photo of this incredible work of art. Believe me, if it still looks like that at night, I've got to get over there! Until then, here a several photos I took on the way to Powell's Books after work on Tuesday.

DSC_0311p-p

DSC_0309

DSC_0307p

DSC_0310p
I decided to crop and alter in Picnik the text I found on the glass--which is a cover over an apparently defunct stairway which must have gone beneath the sidewalk to I know not where. I like how Picnik gave the old gold-colored text a sort of rainbow look, much like the paper inside the glass. This is what I read, in case you can't make it out: The Portland Storefronts program provides local artists with the opportunity to activate vacant storefronts with one-of-a-kind and temporary art installations. This Portland Storefront installation is a joint initiative of the Downtown Marketing Initiative, Portland Business Alliance, the Downtown Clean & Safe District, and the Bill Naito Company.


9 comments:

Birdman said...

Looks like an exciting show.

Jim Klenke said...

It looks neat, and a great way to give artist space to show their work.

Randy said...

Interesting piece of art. I really like it.

brian stout said...

hmm... very colorful. i can see the diamonds now =)

Lowell said...

I must say this is quite different and creative. I mean, who would think of using paper painted with enamel in such a way. Very colorful and exciting. It is wonderful that Portland assists such artists in displaying their work.

Steve Scauzillo said...

"Picture yourself...on a boat on a river... with marmelade skies..."

Jack said...

These are bright and colorful, Lynette.

Anonymous said...

The colorful streamers or hangers or whatever....
reminded me of the wind banners we used to make and hang. Also the Native Americans did something similar.

Sure makes a nice post.

You must take or spend or otherwise use a lot of time to be out and about and get all of these new, and beautiful, pictures.

Frank Zweegers said...

Interesting!