Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vacation, Day 1, 10/21/2009, Part 4

My favorite neon of the night--at the Acme Oyster House--for the team, not the beer. I'm not much of a beer drinker.
DSC_0155

Kay, Mama and I thought we'd be walking a little over six blocks from the Place D'Armes Hotel to the Acme Oyster House. We'd made that estimate after looking at a paper place mat sized French Quarter map. What we didn't know was that we'd be covering half a mile--I just got the Google walking directions which actually matched our route. Thank goodness Mama had her walker because when she felt like a rest, she'd whip that little thing around, set the hand brakes and take a seat. Kay and I would stand beside her, looking here, looking there, all three of us talking and watching people. Naturally, I took photos.

We walked up St. Anne to Royal, where we turned left. Naghi's, Jewelry, Judaica and Antiques, is on the corner. Would that the sky had been blue that late afternoon. I really like this view of the wrought iron and the balcony.
DSC_0090

We walked by the back of St. Louis Cathedral. From their Web site: The Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France is the oldest Catholic cathedral in continual use in the United States. Be sure to remember this photo when you see another one that I took on our walk back to the hotel.
DSC_0091

Right across Royal is the Rodrigue Studio. From its Web site: Featuring the artwork of Cajun artist George Rodrigue, most famous for the "Blue Dog" series of paintings.
DSC_0092

Looking along the side of the cathedral, towards the Mississippi River. How would you like to encounter pirates down this alley, by the dark of night? We did, naturally. It's Pirate Alley, y'all! There's a cafe about half way down--that's where we came across folks in pirate garb, talking like pirates, too. They loved Mama!
DSC_0096

What in inviting spot, even on a humid evening. Can anyone explain that window at the top of the photo?
DSC_0097

This didn't just catch my eye, it grabbed it. For seven and a half years back in the early to mid 1950's, my family moved every three months or less--Daddy's job building water cooling towers for industrial purposes led to that situation. We lived in various trailers, none more than seven feet wide, in 26 states. As a result, maps fascinate me. I asked permission to take this photo.
DSC_0100_p

Here's the sign for the store, Road Trip on Royal.
DSC_0101

We saw several of these. I like all the layers of paint.
DSC_0103_p

One of the more well-known eateries we passed on our way to our destination.
DSC_0104

Mama's stepping out. Kay's grinning at the metal cutie in the shop doorway.
DSC_0108

Makes you wonder who would answer any one of those five buzzers, doesn't it?
DSC_0109_p

Fleur de Paris, custom milliners, on Royal.
DSC_0112_p

I found this online, about French Quarter architecture: Outside doors are tall and surmounted by arched and barred transoms. Above them one should note the narrow second-floor balcony, just two or three feet deep and supported by scrolling brackets of hand-wrought iron from the forge. The cast-iron "gallery" of later vintage is different--wide and supported on columns, all cast from molds in commercial foundries, not from mom-and-pop blacksmith shops. These were frequently added in the 1850s to houses first built with balconies in the 1830s.

So I'm wondering if the one with the posts in this photo is a gallery. It doesn't look wider than two or three feet to me, but it might be.
DSC_0113

I'm thinking these two are balconies--they look narrower than the ones in the previous photo, don't they? See the person on the lower one? I doubt I could have ever been comfortable in that position, even in my younger years.
DSC_0115

Wait a minute. This might be the one that shows both of them side-by-side, the balcony on the right, the gallery on the left. I can't explain to y'all why I'm so curious about this distinction, I just am.
DSC_0116_p_p

My smiling Mama in the French Quarter!
DSC_0119

Looking back the way we came, down Royal, past a great big tree that stands beside the building that houses the Louisiana State Court of Appeal Fourth Circuit and the Supreme Court of Louisiana.
DSC_0122

Isn't this a beautiful building? It's the New Orleans Police 8th District--seems like I've seen it in TV shows and/or movies.
DSC_0124

Mama's resting in front of the police precinct. I wonder what Kay said to make her laugh?
DSC_0125

Y'all know I love neon.
DSC_0133

Here's the hotel itself--huge, ornate and so white.
DSC_0137

DSC_0141

We're almost there. Watch out, we're all hungry!
DSC_0146

I had my assignment.
DSC_0147

More great neon.
DSC_0149

Food orders placed, my Acme Sunset arrived at the table--love that plastic cup! Fruity hard liquor is relaxing, ya'll. Honest.
DSC_0153

My fried shrimp platter, before I ate it all right up! To tell you the truth, I started eating without giving a thought to taking a photo. Those Ritz Bits and Kraft Caramels were so long gone. Thank goodness it dawned on me to take a photo. Mama got a fried oyster po'boy, Kay got a fried shrimp one. Both cleaned their plates, just like I did--I shared fries with Mama.
DSC_0154

Another neat neon sign in the back room of the Acme--we were seated back there which was just fine with us because the air conditioning was holding its own, not like in the front room where the opening door let in warm, humid air every few minutes.
DSC_0156

Here's the front room, shot from that door just before I stepped out onto the sidewalk for our walk back.
DSC_0158

We made stops by two praline shops, Royal Pralines and New Orleans Praline, to get Mama a sweet tidbit at both stores. She'd said no to the bread pudding at the Acme Oyster House but couldn't turn down the thoughts of sugar and pecans. No photos of that, though.

Saw these looking in store windows on the walk back to the hotel.
DSC_0164

DSC_0165

DSC_0166

DSC_0170

Guess where we planned to go the next morning!
DSC_0171

DSC_0175

Here's the photo that I wanted you to see, in relation to the day time one I put earlier in this post.
DSC_0177_p

Back at the hotel after some fine time together, walking along Royal mostly, enjoying being with each other and with Kay. All of us looked forward to a good night's rest.
DSC_0186

4 comments:

Warren said...

great pictures -- looks like you are having a fun trip! I like that US map made out of license plates.

Anonymous said...

After all of that (and taking so many beautiful pictures) how many people's feet hurt?

Jim Klenke said...

These are all awesome shots.

Don and Krise said...

Great photos Lynette. How many miles did you put on in one day?